Other Region Rubicon in 3 weeks and ive slacked.

amp713

Going to the rubicon for my honeymoon, problem is ive spent so much time with wedding planning for next weekend that ive not taken a lot of time planning the rubicon trip!!!

I'm leaving on the 22nd so any and all info I can get is much appreciated!!!

Is there a better direction to run it?

biggest thing I'm fighting with is parking, was planning to haul the jeep on my gooseneck down but I need to figure out somewhere SAFE for my truck and trailer to stay...

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wait, is it 14 days? Or 3 weeks? I'm heading there in 11 days. I'm driving my Jeep though.

For parking, are you staying at a hotel before and/or after the trail? If so, I would ask the hotel about leaving your truck/trailer with them for a few days.

I don't really know if there is a better direction to run the trail, it's my virginicon experience. I wanted to start it on the conventional side near Loon Lake or Wentworth Springs. Mostly I based this on Cadillac Hill, because I prefer climbing up a steep obstacle, vs. coming down one. Cadillac Hill looks like a really long obstacle.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Here's an awesome video of Cadillac Hill. It's a bit long, but the end is intense. Looks fun!

[video]https://youtu.be/MoqEvxGA0mg[/video]

Lil' Rich

I was born and raised on the rubicon, first roll over was when I was 3 on the 'con so I think I could help you. If you are trailering, and don't have a street legal rig, then I would suggest parking at Loon Lake. there are several good spots, and it is generally very safe. I have left tool bags on my flatbed for a week straight and they were there when I got off the trail, the trail is MUCH more tame than when I was in High school and college.

Places you'll want to stop over at is Spider Lake. Spider is behind the Little Sluice and generally takes 3-4 hours to get to from Loon. You can't drive to spider but it is only 20 yards from the sluice and the best camp spot is on the left just before the sluice. all easily within walking distance.

The next good spot to camp is Buck Island, this should take 2-3 hours if you go by the slabs, but the original trail including Big Sluice and Old Sluice will take 4 hours. I have my preferences on camp spots but anywhere is really good there. there is a bear that roams spider and buck, would be a good idea to move your ice chest away from your tent. Maybe even bring a pistol if that is your thing. (I know I bring my .45, but you can scare him off pretty easy, no need to shoot him)

The next spot to camp would be just past Rubicon Springs at the Dirty Dozen site on the left. Nice little pond back there, it takes 3-4 hours from Buck to get there. Then about 4-5 hours out to the highway.

For a 3 night trip, that would be ideal, just make it a LONG day trip back from the springs to Loon. If you have a street legal rig, I would continue through and get a nice hotel in Tahoe for a night. Then take the next day and go back to get your trailer via the highway.

Most people have mechanical issues on the trail, prepare for that. There is no cell reception except for Walker Hill, which is about 2 hours into the trail from Loon. Even there it is spotty. Any weekend will have a pretty decent amount of rigs up there. Keep an eye out for trail markers, they are little Tires on a yellow sign, usually posted into a tree about 10 feet up. Don't drive past the Fiberglass boundary poles. You'll get cited if caught and harassed if locals find you. You can park at the boundary and hike where ever you want. Not much for firewood, so bring you own or rely on pinecones. There is a bridge and restrooms about 1 hour into the trail from Loon. After that there isn't any provisions until Little Sluice, and it is a 15 year old outhouse that is pretty rough. There might be a outhouse at Buck, can't remember. There are many provisions at Rubicon Springs.

The trail is 21 miles from start to finish going that route. It takes most stock type vehicles 2-3 days to get through. in my Ultra4 car, I did the whole trail in 47 minutes but I also hit a top speed of 72 MPH across the Granite Slabs.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've read that there are pit toilets now in a few places, one is at buck island.

Rich, what are the rules on pistol carry there? Just nothing in the chamber? I know my Concealed permit is not valid there.

Lil' Rich

I don't know what the laws are, and to be honest, I don't care. not trying to be a tough guy, but I am done with all the CA Gun law crap. I carry with me everywhere, regardless.

sixstringsteve

I love the rubicon. Here's a video from when we did it:

[video=youtube;GmdmR8W5Kk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmdmR8W5Kk4[/video]

Bart

This is great information Rich. I would have loved to see the 72 mph across the slabs.

I was born and raised on the rubicon, first roll over was when I was 3 on the 'con so I think I could help you. If you are trailering, and don't have a street legal rig, then I would suggest parking at Loon Lake. there are several good spots, and it is generally very safe. I have left tool bags on my flatbed for a week straight and they were there when I got off the trail, the trail is MUCH more tame than when I was in High school and college.

Places you'll want to stop over at is Spider Lake. Spider is behind the Little Sluice and generally takes 3-4 hours to get to from Loon. You can't drive to spider but it is only 20 yards from the sluice and the best camp spot is on the left just before the sluice. all easily within walking distance.

The next good spot to camp is Buck Island, this should take 2-3 hours if you go by the slabs, but the original trail including Big Sluice and Old Sluice will take 4 hours. I have my preferences on camp spots but anywhere is really good there. there is a bear that roams spider and buck, would be a good idea to move your ice chest away from your tent. Maybe even bring a pistol if that is your thing. (I know I bring my .45, but you can scare him off pretty easy, no need to shoot him)

The next spot to camp would be just past Rubicon Springs at the Dirty Dozen site on the left. Nice little pond back there, it takes 3-4 hours from Buck to get there. Then about 4-5 hours out to the highway.

For a 3 night trip, that would be ideal, just make it a LONG day trip back from the springs to Loon. If you have a street legal rig, I would continue through and get a nice hotel in Tahoe for a night. Then take the next day and go back to get your trailer via the highway.

Most people have mechanical issues on the trail, prepare for that. There is no cell reception except for Walker Hill, which is about 2 hours into the trail from Loon. Even there it is spotty. Any weekend will have a pretty decent amount of rigs up there. Keep an eye out for trail markers, they are little Tires on a yellow sign, usually posted into a tree about 10 feet up. Don't drive past the Fiberglass boundary poles. You'll get cited if caught and harassed if locals find you. You can park at the boundary and hike where ever you want. Not much for firewood, so bring you own or rely on pinecones. There is a bridge and restrooms about 1 hour into the trail from Loon. After that there isn't any provisions until Little Sluice, and it is a 15 year old outhouse that is pretty rough. There might be a outhouse at Buck, can't remember. There are many provisions at Rubicon Springs.

The trail is 21 miles from start to finish going that route. It takes most stock type vehicles 2-3 days to get through. in my Ultra4 car, I did the whole trail in 47 minutes but I also hit a top speed of 72 MPH across the Granite Slabs.

Lil' Rich

This is great information Rich. I would have loved to see the 72 mph across the slabs.

It was really sketchy. As soon as a dropped down the abrupt ledges, I smashed the throttle and threaded the needle between the trees at the bottom. There is a bit of flat before you can start heading up the slabs so I got on it and then pitched it sideways to head up the trail. My wife said that the GPS said 72 mph on it right before I turned.

amp713

Info overload guys!!! Thanks!!! I will have to read it all on my lunch break since that's my only free time anymore! My wedding is on the 18th, we are leaving on the 22 or maybe night of the 21st to head for rubicon. I do have a street legal rig but towing it 11 hours with my duramax seemed the better option.

amp713

Wait, is it 14 days? Or 3 weeks? I'm heading there in 11 days. I'm driving my Jeep though.

For parking, are you staying at a hotel before and/or after the trail? If so, I would ask the hotel about leaving your truck/trailer with them for a few days.

I don't really know if there is a better direction to run the trail, it's my virginicon experience. I wanted to start it on the conventional side near Loon Lake or Wentworth Springs. Mostly I based this on Cadillac Hill, because I prefer climbing up a steep obstacle, vs. coming down one. Cadillac Hill looks like a really long obstacle.

How long are you going to be there?? I'm gonna leave from Roosevelt probably the 21st, drive to AF, stay with the family there then drive out first thing in the morning from there.

amp713

Ya I heard about that but we had picked our dates a while ago and our jobs aren't big fans of us leaving so we had to stick with what we got. I don't mind it being slightly crowded as long as there is someone there to help if I need it ill be happy haha

amp713

Question- is there parking for a trailer at wentworth springs or loon lake the first spot to park??? Am I missing anything starting at loon vs wentworth?

Rock Taco

There are places to park at both. And yes you're missing something at one over the other the other part of the trail! Both are fun but I prefer wentworth over loon.

amp713

Sounds like I'm going to go for wentworth then! Anyone have gps coordinates for there???

And I was going to message you last night marc since I know you have gone to rubicon before just to pick your brain but honestly I'm mostly out of questions thanks to this forum.....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sounds like I'm going to go for wentworth then! Anyone have gps coordinates for there???

And I was going to message you last night marc since I know you have gone to rubicon before just to pick your brain but honestly I'm mostly out of questions thanks to this forum.....

Pretty good map here: http://www.rubicontrail.org/map-randy.pdf

This is an awesome resource site,
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Good info there. I'm working on getting out there for this upcoming week (invited myself along with a group) in my JKU. My WIFE is even going to join me:eek: (she's a NON-Jeeper).

Last edited: