Rubicon Springs

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I compared some Rubicon springs to regular TJ springs, they are the same length when uncompressed and the same diameter material. This leads me to believe that they don't in fact give any additional lift like so many people believe, so question. Do they give lift or is that everyones perception? They could just fit the tires on the Rubicon by correct backspacing and bumpstops etc. Just curious if anyone knows, or if everyones just "heard" like me.

Medsker

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
the same

My under standing is that they are the same. When I worked at a Jeep dealership they never trained or told us that they where different. As you said the only real difference in height comes from the tire size. Knowing Jeep they are going to use as many of the same parts as they can and be cheap as possible.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
If they are the same diameter wire, they should be the same spring rate (right?), so if they are the same height the shouldn't provide any lift.

Medsker

RockMonkey said:
If they are the same diameter wire, they should be the same spring rate (right?), so if they are the same height the shouldn't provide any lift.

That is definately my thought. I'm no engineer...oh wait I am...but anyway that is my thought.

Medsker

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
The Rubicon springs do not lift the vehicle at all, the only difference in suspension between the Rubicon and the regular TJ is that the Rubicon has a 1/4" thick plate welded to the spring perch on the front axle, extending the lower bumpstop to clear the 31" tires

Medsker

lenny said:
The Rubicon springs do not lift the vehicle at all, the only difference in suspension between the Rubicon and the regular TJ is that the Rubicon has a 1/4" thick plate welded to the spring perch on the front axle, extending the lower bumpstop to clear the 31" tires

That makes sense, thanks for your reply

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
lenny said:

So much bad information out there.....

The frt Rubicon springs are the stiffest springs they put on a TJ (though they also put them on some other models as well). The same is also true for the rear springs on a Rubi if it has a hard top. Stiffness will add height due to resistance to compression. You need to check the numbers on the springs. Higher numbers are stiffer which will equal height increase. Each number higher will gain you around 3/4" of height or so plus sometimes if the springs are old you will also gain sag recovery. It all depends on what the part number of the spring you have now, versus what you are getting.

Here's a definitive break-down for you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94043&highlight=RUBI+SPRINGS

:)

Last edited:

Medsker

chevtech said:
So much bad information out there.....

The frt Rubicon springs are the stiffest springs they put on a TJ (though they also put them on some other models as well). The same is also true for the rear springs on a Rubi if it has a hard top. Stiffness will add height due to resistance to compression. You need to check the numbers on the springs. Higher numbers are stiffer which will equal height increase. Each number higher will gain you around 3/4" of height or so plus sometimes if the springs are old you will also gain sag recovery. It all depends on what the part number of the spring you have now, versus what you are getting.

Here's a definitive break-down for you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94043&highlight=RUBI+SPRINGS

:)

Boy is there ever, that is the fun trying to wade through what is correct and what isn't. :D I try to never fall for the "I heard" but sometimes it's hard to distingish which is which. Thanks for the link.

Medsker

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
PS I think they change the stiffness of TJ springs by using less coils, (less coils in two equal height springs will make the one with less coils stiffer) changing the "ramp value" of the spring. At least that is what I seem to remember.......