Runner wont start

1986ToyRunner

So today I got in my runner and it wouldn't start right,I know its not the battery or the alt. both are pretty new, so I let it roll down that hill in front of my house and popped the clutch and it starts. I get to the gas station shut it off and fill it up with gas, jump in and it doesn't start, so I ask someone for a jump just to see if it might be the battery, but like I thought no start. I get someone to help me push it out of the way, so luckly I had my tools with me in the truck and I take the starter out right there in the parking lot. Walk down to napa and had them test it and they say that it is still good so I'm like crap. So I put it back in and try to start it still nothing, so I had someone help me push start it. Get it started and drove it down to my mom's in Bountiful, so I can take it to the only mechanic that I trust tomorrow mourning. So now I'm driving my mom's taco for now. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
With a 20+ year old vehicle the connection may be tight but the cable may be corroded inside the sheathing. Any kind of nick or bulge on the cable is suspect.

1986ToyRunner

I never thought of that maybe I'll have to look at that tomorrow I don't have the truck here with me so I can't just go take a look at it. But I do now that the starter is getting power cause I did have it spark on me while I was taking off the starter, cause I forgot to diconnect the battery.

rollover

Two things come to mind. The small wire at starter. This will sometimes drive you nuts until you replace the end and use some dielectric lube (like Spork said "cable may be corroded inside the sheathing"). Neutral or clutch switch.

Hope its a easy fix for you.

Jm2c

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nope not at all.

Hot wire on solenoid. There are two wires going to the starter one is large and comes directly from the battery the other is a smallish 14 guage wire that clips onto the solenoid. My bet is that it either fell off or is corroded really bad. If all your wires are in good shape check your fuses other than that it could be your key switch which is a rare failure on a Toyota.

1986ToyRunner

So I got it figure out, one of the previous owners put in one of thos do it yourself alarm system, where it connected into a bunch of wires and the relay for it went bad. I took that all out and connected the wires all back up how they are suppose to be and it starts up now just fine.