Running Snakes

leemastergt

Planning on going out to run Rattlesnake and hopefully Constrictor early Saturday January 28th. I'm hoping someone else will be out at the trail around 9 AM so that they can show me the beginning of Constrictor. I found Rattlesnake ok last time but when looking for Constrictor I didn't know where to go. Anybody is welcome to join my group as well if they want. Got 3, maybe 4 rigs so far.

leemastergt

Looks to be a bit on the ground. I was kind of hoping for some on Rattlesnake to mix things up a bit and make it a little more challenging. Another reason why I hope to find Constrictor as well. I know there's a trail guide to get to Constrictor on here but all it says is it is at the end of Rattlesnake... Anybody got any specific info? 2 weeks ago when I was there we got to the top of that sand hill and could see the other set of hills in the distance. We aimed for those and then got to a spot where there looked to be an oil drill parked in the middle of a hill. Was that in the right direction, or should we have been aiming more to the right? I almost wish there were signs posted that would direct you to the trail. But I'm sure the reason not to have them would be so that people wouldn't stumble on the trail making it more popular and consequently more crowded...

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Rattlesnakes ends when you go up the first set of the tailings piles. When you continue North from there yo will enter a wide open area and can see the 2nd set of tailings piles on the right (there are two grating covered mines on top and one has a jeep in the bottom, you may have heard of this infamous location). This wide open area is where Sunshine Canyon rd merges into the trail that is know as Snakes.

Noww the actual Constrictor trail (in my opinion) starts when you take the first left directly after the 2nd tailings pile. You need to go Right (and slightly downhill) at the first fork in the road to go attempt waynes world obstical. When you climb waynes world the constricotor trail continues as you vere right.

leemastergt

Rattlesnakes ends when you go up the first set of the tailings piles. When you continue North from there yo will enter a wide open area and can see the 2nd set of tailings piles on the right (there are two grating covered mines on top and one has a jeep in the bottom, you may have heard of this infamous location). This wide open area is where Sunshine Canyon rd merges into the trail that is know as Snakes.

Noww the actual Constrictor trail (in my opinion) starts when you take the first left directly after the 2nd tailings pile. You need to go Right (and slightly downhill) at the first fork in the road to go attempt waynes world obstical. When you climb waynes world the constricotor trail continues as you vere right.

That makes more sense to me now, and I believe I've seen at least one grate covered mine. One other clarification, for those in my group who wouldn't want to attempt WW there is a bypass correct? Or did I misunderstand that obstacle?

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Be mindful that the "bypass" you may see at WW is NOT actually part of the snakes trail. (from what I am told you SHOULD ONLY DRIVE IN THE WASH and also try to set a good example for others in your group), but you can backtrack to the fork in the road I mentioned earler its only a few hundred feet back downthe trail. Im not a tree hugger just giving ya passed down info that I learned the hard way! :D

leemastergt

Be mindful that the "bypass" you may see at WW is NOT actually part of the snakes trail. (from what I am told you SHOULD ONLY DRIVE IN THE WASH and also try to set a good example for others in your group), but you can backtrack to the fork in the road I mentioned earler its only a few hundred feet back downthe trail. Im not a tree hugger just giving ya passed down info that I learned the hard way! :D

That's good to know! So basically if I'm planning on going past WW I better plan on going THROUGH it not around? We'll see if we can actually find the trail on Saturday. Still no other groups goin out??

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There is a bypass.

No there isn't. There is a retarded route around the obstacle, yes, but there is no bypass on this RME-sponsored and -supported trail.

You are correct. Clearly Dwayne and the crew are giving you good information. IN THE WASH. I appreciate you not only heeding the advice, but sharing it. Thank you, very much. :D

So the snow finally fell there. Maybe I'll yank my front axle and paint it this weekend while everyone else has fun.:-\

that snow melted lickety split. It seems to have been coming and going day to day here hahah I'll come paint your axle if you come here and grind rivets.. :(

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
that snow melted lickety split. It seems to have been coming and going day to day here hahah I'll come paint your axle if you come here and grind rivets.. :(
I think I might build a truss while it's out, and I'm not sure I trust you enough for that. Actually, I am sure...
:p

leemastergt

if i can round up a tow rig i may go, i need to get out.

We'll be at the trailhead, hopefully, around 9:30. Got to unload trailers so we'll be chillin at the big sign for 10 to 15 minutes I would guess. Hope to see some folks out there! And hope at least some of the snow is melted... :thumbs:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Is it just me or does there appear to be a whole lot of trail abuse going on in places that aren't really on the defined trail? Just saying....

from 2:00 on, for sure. I'm sure the Forest Service would dig a USFS-stickered rig doing that, too. -_- WTF, guys? Have their not been enough threads? Enough closed trails?

leemastergt

Just for those who might be wondering, I better post in trip reports as well but we ran in to a LOT of snow up Constrictor. So much so that we turned around not very far past Wayne's World. Still a blast just a little slicker than normal. :)