Rust Inhibitor

EROK81?

Sell out
Have any of you had any luck with a spray on rust inhibitor?

I've used Krylon Zinc Rich Primer before and it seems to work as good as normal primer to contain rust.

I don't really need to get rid of the rust, just stop/slow down what's already there. I am going to do a major WVC repair on my fender (say...expandable foam and bondo) and need to stop the rust that's already there until I can do a better job fixing it when I have time.

Anything work better than others? Something readily available and in a spray can would be best.

Caleb

POR15 makes a great product. We used it all the time out on the GSL for things that would get rusty. It's not a spray can though. If I remember correctly it's called Metal Ready.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
In 1984 I restored a 1966 Renault Caravelle 1100 (Gordinni head/Abarth exhaust) and used a product called End Rust if I remember correctly. It was still rust free when sold in 1992. It was a white paint that turned black and you had to wire brush the loose rust.

Last edited:

EROK81?

Sell out
I've tried some white paste that turns black once it's done and that seemed to work well, too bad it doesnt come a spray.

Maybe I'll just try rustoleum and this zinc rich stuff and see how it goes. Por-15 I'll probably buy for some interior stuff, but this repair is too cheap for that stuff.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Naval Jelly is the "white that turns black" type and is offered in handy spray cans. Get all the loose stuff on and apply. Make sure you give it 24 hours to cure up and finish its job before you topcoat. It is a quality product and I've had great results with it when I have the patience to follow the directions on the can.