Rusty Long Arm for a xj

xjshorty21

Buckle Up And Shut Up
i heard that rusty long arm kit isn'y very good i was just wondering why and what is a good long arm kit out there for a xj

Badger

I am the Brute squad
it had problems at the start but have since cleaned up their act.that being said i ran Rustys before and had no real problems with it.

if i were to build another XJ i would go for the TNT kit over all others

92XJeeper

Half the battle with Rusty's is getting the product shipped on time and having the order be correct. If you order from Rusty, be sure to ask him about shipping costs. I hear he charges rather high rates nowadays.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
TNT is a bit more then the others but at the same time its one of the best systems out there .it also comes with a monster skid plate/crossmember as part of the kit.

the kit

the only thing i would change out in the kit are the rear springs .i have never been a fan of R.E. products let alone their rear Xj springs.

the skid and arms

YLinkSample20.jpg

TNT started out a few years back and were only producing XJ products since all the guys that started it were driving XJ's .did i mention they are right across the border in CO.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
This picture makes me wonder, isn't there a significant strenght reduction in having a bend in the lower control arm? I reliase its .25 wall tube, but it seems that it would weaken it. I also saw a TJ with the Nth degree kit... it looked like an upside down radius arm, with the upper link flat, and the lower links dropping off the upper... very similar geometry to the TNT arms pictured above. Does any one have any familiarity with it? I know that type of design wouldn't help me immediately, since I have a low pinion front axle right now, but I like the added clearance it appears to offer.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This picture makes me wonder, isn't there a significant strenght reduction in having a bend in the lower control arm? I reliase its .25 wall tube, but it seems that it would weaken it. I also saw a TJ with the Nth degree kit... it looked like an upside down radius arm, with the upper link flat, and the lower links dropping off the upper... very similar geometry to the TNT arms pictured above. Does any one have any familiarity with it? I know that type of design wouldn't help me immediately, since I have a low pinion front axle right now, but I like the added clearance it appears to offer.

The only benefit I see out of those arms would be more clearance. I would imagine that they would be signifigantly weaker than a straight arm, especially at that kind of bend.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Notice on the TNT kit, the brackets are welded to the arms at the bend. Effectively plating both sides of the bend.

If I was to build another XJ I would use the TNT kit and the frame stiffners. I have been impressed with what I have seen and never heard any problems.

Edit: forgot to add that I actually liked the RE rear leafs we had. IIRC they were the 4.5". I even prefered them to the nationals that I had it it before. They flex'd well and rode nice....not like a car, but....

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The only benefit I see out of those arms would be more clearance. I would imagine that they would be signifigantly weaker than a straight arm, especially at that kind of bend.

With as high as those arms are mounted at the crossmember, that bend is necessary to clear the "frame" at the front when stuffed. Yours has a similar bend currently. :) (in fact, watch those arms to make sure you don't bend 'em further, since you're likely wheeling it harder/more than the previous owner)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
With as high as those arms are mounted at the crossmember, that bend is necessary to clear the "frame" at the front when stuffed. Yours has a similar bend currently. :) (in fact, watch those arms to make sure you don't bend 'em further, since you're likely wheeling it harder/more than the previous owner)

Nah, we won't be wheeling it that hard... I have the buggy for other stuff. The arms you have built under there didn't seem to have that much bend in them. Either way, it's definately a weaker area.

How thick are the arms you built?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Nah, we won't be wheeling it that hard... I have the buggy for other stuff. The arms you have built under there didn't seem to have that much bend in them. Either way, it's definately a weaker area.

How thick are the arms you built?

They were built in a hurry, so they're just 1.5" .120 inside 1.75" .120. It was sorta intended to be temporary until we could find time to build beefier ones, but..... ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Notice on the TNT kit, the brackets are welded to the arms at the bend. Effectively plating both sides of the bend.

I didn't even take that into consideration, good point.

It looks like a solid kit... If I were to make any modifications to it, I'd do this:

attachment.php

Just to spread the load across more surface area of the uniframe.

Attachments

• modified-TNT.jpg
    modified-TNT.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 30

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've always wondered, since I am a lover of the leaf spring for now, doesn't that jack w/the geometry, eliminating the upper arms?????

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've always wondered, since I am a lover of the leaf spring for now, doesn't that jack w/the geometry, eliminating the upper arms?????

It just changes it into a radius type. I can say that the ride quality and suspension travel is pretty nice on the front with that type of suspension, as long as you use deflectable bushings.