Rusty Nail 8-27

Spidey

Yesterday was a surprisingly nice day on Rusty Nail. Took my newly finished rig for a test drive. Had a business meeting in Moab at ten, then headed out to Gemini Bridges road looking for some fun.

Trail was fun and I'm happy with the new mods to my rig, (Thanks Kasey at BHR) but what has happened to Gatekeeper. I ran the nail counterclockwise. All the boulders have slid on Gatekeeper and it was a beast to get up, it looks nothing like it did last year. I'll get some pictures tonight. Does anyone know what happened? It is trashed and looks beat up.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yesterday was a surprisingly nice day on Rusty Nail. Took my newly finished rig for a test drive. Had a business meeting in Moab at ten, then headed out to Gemini Bridges road looking for some fun.

Trail was fun and I'm happy with the new mods to my rig, (Thanks Kasey at BHR) but what has happened to Gatekeeper. I ran the nail counterclockwise. All the boulders have slid on Gatekeeper and it was a beast to get up, it looks nothing like it did last year. I'll get some pictures tonight. Does anyone know what happened? It is trashed and looks beat up.

I heard it was just all rain damage and washout. I thought it was a fun trail, didn't have any trouble with the keeper back on Memorial day:p

Spidey

What I'm talking about is definately not rain damage or washout alone. I'm talkiing about a 1 ton boulder moving 15 feet and several other boulders falling away.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
What I'm talking about is definately not rain damage or washout alone. I'm talkiing about a 1 ton boulder moving 15 feet and several other boulders falling away.

My imagination sucks, do you have pictures?;)

Spidey

I'll try to get pics from my buddies camera tonight.

Let me explain, I walked Riff Raff with little to no effort. Gatekeeper however took me 45 minutes to figure out a line without stacking, even the wall to the left is sketchy because boulders have slid in behind the bottom of it giving it a dump bump scenario consequence.

This was last year on the first try, see from 4:28. That was a 99 inch wheelbase with road 35's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkkj67rRAM

Now the rig is 104 with 37 stickies and I struggled, alot. I dont know of any rig that isn't extremely modified with large tires, that could drive up it without some serious rock stacking or deliberation and several attempts the way it currently sits regardless of how great the driver is.
Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I'm pretty sure something recently has happened there that has really changed it.

I also walked up several things I never could do without gettin on it.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'll try to get pics from my buddies camera tonight.

Let me explain, I walked Riff Raff with little to no effort. Gatekeeper however took me 45 minutes to figure out a line without stacking, even the wall to the left is sketchy because boulders have slid in behind the bottom of it giving it a dump bump scenario consequence.

This was last year on the first try, see from 4:28. That was a 99 inch wheelbase with road 35's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkkj67rRAM

Now the rig is 104 with 37 stickies and I struggled, alot. I dont know of any rig that isn't extremely modified with large tires, that could drive up it without some serious rock stacking or deliberation and several attempts the way it currently sits regardless of how great the driver is.
Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I'm pretty sure something recently has happened there that has really changed it.

I also walked up several things I never could do without gettin on it.

This obstacle?
2009_3_21-025.jpg

2009_3_21-031.jpg

2009_3_21-039.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This obstacle?

I would agree that this obstacle has changed drastically. Ran it for the first time 3 (?) years ago and walked right up it, no problems. Ran it again last spring and had a hard time winching up it :rofl: Both times was on a SWB TJ on 35s

Meat_

Banned
I was referring to the upper section... I'm sure you remember, the one where the K5 ended up on it's side ;)

Those to spots are more than a little bit apart with some flat stuff in the middle :p

And :rofl: I have a pic of the K5 napping there as my laptop wallpaper. :D

Spidey

That's the one, but yesterday there were no rocks stacked, the boulders were farther apart, and the trenches were 3 to 4 feet deep. I think the thing could be changed easily with rock movement, but I think it's more a of gatekeeper the way it is right now. Maybe we should hide all the stackable rocks far off. j/k My buddy didnt get picks of that obstacle, sorry. I should've remembered for the site. My Bad.
However we did get some shots of the rest of it. I would load them but for some reason I can't get it to work I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Spidey

Some of the days fun

Attachments

• DSC_0285.jpg
    DSC_0285.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0300.jpg
    DSC_0300.jpg