RV Tech: Generator discussion

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I looked at those but didn't think they were strong enough. I read on Onan's site the generators loose something like 1% output for every 1000ft above sea level. I didn't want to be short on power. I was tempted, but decided to pony up a little more to be sure. That 3500 would be a lot nicer for lifting in and out of the truck every weekend though!

Caleb

Heard about these last year... Champion 4000w peak and 3500w running. They are $299.00 at Checker Auto and Cabelas.

They are surprisingly quiet (not as quiet as a 2000 Honda) I have run my A/C, microwave, TV and DVD player all at the same time. They are truely the way to go! Several people at my work have bought them and we all love em.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=CPE&MfrPartNumber=C46540&CategoryCode=3483C

You can plug your RV plug right into it without an adapter. Also has the regular outlets.

My Sister uses one of these for her Trailer and they have been very happy with it. It is quiet too.

We used NorthStar generators from Northern Tool out on our fishing boats and they would power everything we could throw at them. They have Honda motors (which was a must) and were only like $400-$500. I believe they were 4K generators. They were very quiet as well, we'd run them on top of our Aluminum cabs and couldn't even hear them when we were in the cabs.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Just for future reference, every internal combustion engine needs to be de-rated 1% for every 1000 feet of altitude. Doesn't really matter on the make, it's just a fact that the air is thinner up here. ;)

I looked at those but didn't think they were strong enough. I read on Onan's site the generators loose something like 1% output for every 1000ft above sea level. I didn't want to be short on power. I was tempted, but decided to pony up a little more to be sure. That 3500 would be a lot nicer for lifting in and out of the truck every weekend though!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Bringing this old thread back to life because I want to buy a little generator for the camp trailer. The problem is I don't have the room to pack around the bigger 100 lb units like the one from partsamerica above, but I don't want to spend ~$1000 on the Honda/Yamaha units.

I don't need to use my AC while camping. I have a small 500W? inverter that I used a bit at EJS last year to heat the beds and that worked out pretty good, but I was running out of battery - even with my Jeep yellow top jumpered to the trailer battery.

So what am I left with? If I had the room, I would do two 12v batteries and the inverter. I guess I could pakc the batteries with me everywhere I go....?

Anyone have any experience with the smaller 2 cycle one at Schucks?