RV trailer questions, Temporary live in.

MattL

So in the near future there might be a need to buy a trailer to live in for a couple of months as I redo my new/old home.
Just wondering on what to look for when buying a used RV trailer. When done and ill turn around and sell it.

Other than for pulling is there any difference in bumper pull vs 5th wheel?
What are best for insulation for heat and cold.
Quality layouts slide out vs non vs just whats cheap?
What to look out for, water leaking, toilets, furnace etc?
What are some descent brands worth looking at?
Going to look at a coachman and a nomad tonight.

Suggestions or thoughts or even other directions?
thanks

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Ensure your marriage is top notch before moving into a trailer, because it will be on thin ice by the time you are done. ;)

We enjoy having a 5th wheel more than a bumper, as it gives our bed it own little area.. but that's just my 02.

Cascadia

Undecided
I will also get a 5th wheel next to have a "private" room. Our next trailer will also have at least one slide out. Otherwise, 8' gets old.

I prefer a large 5th wheel with a master bedroom over the 5th. 5th wheel gives you a little more space for the quoted length since a bumper pull, part of the length is in the tongue. I like the style with a large slide in the main area that has the dinette and a couch. The newer years will have much more slide out vs the old 18" slide. It makes a big difference.

Insulation is just what you pay for - no difference other than more large 5th wheels are of the "basement" style where the main floor is above the wheel wells, offering lots more outside storage. These types are much more likely to have heated areas for tanks also, which I think would be important to live in.

What to look for - Personally run all appliances. Make sure the freezer is freezing before putting your money down - that can be an easy $1k if it isn't.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
If you intend to live in it on site it might be worth checking local code enforcement. Many cities don't allow people to live in trailers parked next to their houses, I know Murray specifically has a city code barring it.

MattL

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Any brand better than others or ones to try and stay away from?
Ill look into that NNNNNATE. Its something I had not even thought of, hence purpose of thread.
The whole buying new place and working on it and selling and living out of a trailer sounds challenging for a single guy but a married guy, we will lots of love.

What about the whole water leaking thing. Other than noticeable water stains what else are signs of damage/leaks.
thanks again!!!!

I don't have a list of brands, they have changed so much in the last 10 years. The type with fiberglass smooth sides over aluminum framing is going to be much higher quality (and price) than stick-built.

On water leaks, make sure there are no soft spots in the floor, no black or discolored stains on ceiling, including inside of cabinets. If it looks like anything inside has been painted or re-wallpapered, that would be a warning sign. Climb on top and make sure the roof coating looks like it has been maintained. Walk everywhere on the roof and make sure it isn't soft anywhere - especially around antennas, skylights, and such. It's not going to be solid as a floor, but it should feel like sheet metal on top of good plywood, not spongey. Caulk should be in good shape over the top of all of the windows and doors. Have a flashlight with you to look in all of the compartments underneath.

If you aren't confident it has been winterized properly, you should pressurize the water system and check for leaks. If you turn the pump on when you first enter the unit, run some water to make sure it runs, and leave it on for the 10-20 minutes you look it over, it shouldn't cycle on again at all. If it does, there is likely a leak.

Just like a house, I probably wouldn't do the whole inspection thing until you find something you like...

NYCEGUY01

Smooth sides.
No water or softspots.
At least 1 slide ( the more the better )
Bumper pull.

At least for a quick sale when you are done...