Ryan from the U.C.'s Sami

Owners Name & City- Ryan. American Fork (u.c.= utah county)

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1987 Suzuki Samurai Soft top

Engine- Stock 1.3L

Transmission- Stock 5 speed

T-Case- Stock

Axles- Sami axles with 5.12 gears, detroit lockers, welded diff gaurds, and high steer.

Suspension- Sami springs, spoa, and lift shackles.

Wheels and Tires- 33" bfg mud terrains

Winch- None

Favorite Trails- I do most of my wheelin' at little Moab(it's close)

Other- Mods? ummm.... does body damage count as "other"?

sorry about the low quality of the pic. it's from a cell phone. The pic was taken on the second day of my first trip to "normal sized" Moab with a rig of my own. (the first day I broke a leaf spring and was down the rest of the day and had to use some used cj springs to repair it)

Attachments

• sami temp file.bmp
    53.5 KB · Views: 124

Dixon

AINT SKEERED said:
Hey you have any more pictures of your rig? I'm about to start a sami build and am looking for inspiration.

Check out winter project. It's a sami project I started a month ago. Find in the general discussion link.

Samarig

yeah, if you want inspiration mine isn't the one to look at. it's a little "back yard mechanic" the one dixon is building is more like how I'd like MINE to be. but ya know, gotta take it one thing at a time.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Samarig said:
yeah, if you want inspiration mine isn't the one to look at. it's a little "back yard mechanic" the one dixon is building is more like how I'd like MINE to be. but ya know, gotta take it one thing at a time.

Well the goal with mine is to be as low budget as possible. My plans are for a SOA lift, sami rear springs in the front and xj springs in the back, 32's, and very little sheet metal.

Back yard mechanics is what this will be all about. The one step at a time philosophy is definitely something that I try to follow.

Samarig

well I think I did pretty good budget wise. including the cost of the samurai I'm only into it about 2,000, that's vehicle, a couple engines, axles, gears, lockers, and suspension. to be fair when I bought the sami it was sprung over. and I bought complete axles that were take offs from another guys rig(he went to toyota axles) but I did spend almost a year tracking down a decent engine. for the right price. when I threw a rod in the original.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Samarig said:
well I think I did pretty good budget wise. including the cost of the samurai I'm only into it about 2,000, that's vehicle, a couple engines, axles, gears, lockers, and suspension. to be fair when I bought the sami it was sprung over. and I bought complete axles that were take offs from another guys rig(he went to toyota axles) but I did spend almost a year tracking down a decent engine. for the right price. when I threw a rod in the original.

Sounds like you did a good job. Out of curiosity why didnt you swap in a bigger motor? I'm planning on a chevy v6 in mine.

Last edited:

Samarig

two reasons. first. if I were to do a bigger motor I'd stay 4 cyl. to keep it light(ie suzuki 1.6l 16valve), and from what I've heard when you put a big motor in a samurai it just makes a monster out of it. and second. I like the idea that I can go anywhere and do anything that those guys with big torqey motors can. cause for what I do I don't need power. I just need gears. but on the other hand. the best reason to change the motor in a sami is to get rid of the 1.3l. they aren't the most reliable engine. but properly cared for they can be ok. once again. I like the suzuki 1.6