S.B. 106. Ban on aftermarket exhausts

skip

Utah Bill to Ban the Use of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems is on the Move

A substitute bill (S.B. 106) to ban the use of most aftermarket exhaust systems has been introduced in the Utah State Legislature by Senator Patricia Jones (pjones@utahsenate.org) and passed by the Senate Transportation Committee. The bill now moves to the floor of the Senate for a vote by all members. Under the substitute bill, all vehicles must be equipped with an exhaust system that is “installed by the original manufacturer of the vehicle and is not modified; or meets specifications equivalent to the muffler installed by the original manufacturer of the vehicle and is not modified.”

We Urge You to Contact All Utah State Senators (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to S.B. 106

· S.B. 106 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

· S.B. 106 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

· S.B. 106 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

· S.B. 106 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact all Utah Senators immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to S.B. 106.

Utah State Senators

Senator Luz Robles
Phone: 801/521-0407
Email: lrobles@utahsenate.org

Senator Ben McAdams
Phone: 801/359-2544
Email: bmcadams@utahsenate.org

Senator Patricia W. Jones
Phone: 801/322-5722
Email: pjones@utahsenate.org

Senator Karen Mayne
Phone: 801/968-7756
Email: kmayne@utahsenate.org

Senator Michael G. Waddoups
Phone: 801/355-1136
Email: waddoups@utahsenate.org

Senator Ross I. Romero
Phone: 801/844-7229
Email: rromero@utahsenate.org

Senator Karen W. Morgan
Phone: 801/538-1406
Email: kmorgan@utahsenate.org

Senator Wayne Niederhauser
Phone: 801/558-4766
Email: wniederhauser@utahsenate.org

Senator D. Chris Buttars
Phone: 801/561-0535
Email: dcbuttars@utahsenate.org

Senator Mark B. Madsen
Phone: 801/361-4787
Email: mmadsen@utahsenate.org

Senator John L. Valentine
Phone: 801/373-6345
Email: jvalentine@utahsenate.org

Senator Margaret Dayton
Phone: 801/221-0623
Email: mdayton@utahsenate.org

Senator Curtis S. Bramble
Phone: 801/226-3663
Email: cbramble@utahsenate.org

Senator Peter C. Knudson
Phone: 435/723-6366
Email: pknudson@utahsenate.org

Senator Jon J. Greiner
Phone: 801/629-8226
Email: jgreiner@utahsenate.org

Senator Allen M. Christensen
Phone: 801/710-0315
Email: achristensen@utahsenate.org

Senator Scott K. Jenkins
Phone: 801/621-5412
Email: sjenkins@utahsenate.org

Senator Davis Jerry W. Stevenson
Phone: 801/430-2575
Email: jstevenson@utahsenate.org

Senator Davis Stuart Adams
Phone: 801/546-6000
Email: sadams@utahsenate.org

Senator Davis Daniel R. Liljenquist
Phone: 801/294-2378
Email: dliljenquist@utahsenate.org

Senator Wayne Ralph Okerlund
Phone: 435/979-7077
Email: rokerlund@utahsenate.org

Senator Rich Lyle W. Hillyard
Phone: 435/752-2610
Email: lhillyard@utahsenate.org

Senator Kevin Van Tassell
Phone: 435/789-7082
Email: kvantassell@utahsenate.org

Senator David P. Hinkins
Phone: 435/748-2828
Email: dhinkins@utahsenate.org

Senator Dennis E. Stowell
Phone: 435/559-8143
Email: dstowell@utahsenate.org

Senator Stephen H. Urquhart
Phone: 435/668-7759
Email: surquhart@utahsenate.org

Senator Gene Davis
Phone: 801/484-9442
Email: gdavis@utahsenate.org

Senator Brent Goodfellow
Phone: 801/556-4871
Email: bgoodfellow@utahsenate.org

Senator Howard Stephenson
Phone: 801/972-8814
Email: hstephenson@utahsenate.org

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What happens when it rusts out on the old CJ, do you take it back to AMC? Patricia Jones is a dope and the bill is a joke.

"or meets specifications equivalent to the muffler installed by the original manufacturer of the vehicle and is not modified.”

I assume they are trying to edge out 'wigger' exhausts that do little in the way of 'muffling' the noise?

Anyone have a copy of the actual bill text?

utah340six

if its for theses pease of sh** rice burner mufler GOOD.
but allin all we need to protect or rights next the will ban or off road builds beace there is no good that comes from them.
so give the senate hell .
because who nows whats next.
cut out all our trails

1993yj

After reading the bill I don't see where it would ban all after market exhaust systems. I can see where it would ban "excessively noisy" exhaust and diesels that spew "clouds of smoke darker than 20% opacity". Am I missing something?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
After reading the bill I don't see where it would ban all after market exhaust systems. I can see where it would ban "excessively noisy" exhaust and diesels that spew "clouds of smoke darker than 20% opacity". Am I missing something?

Doesn't UT already have a law about excessive noise and smoke coming from vehicles? The gimme'crats from CA are taking over your state! ;)

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com

We should just ban annoying rednecks and... southerners.

EROK81?

Sell out
Doesn't UT already have a law about excessive noise and smoke coming from vehicles? The gimme'crats from CA are taking over your state! ;)

I am pretty sure we already have a modified exhaust law. People have been getting tickets for modified exhaust for a while now. How is this law any different?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I am pretty sure we already have a modified exhaust law. People have been getting tickets for modified exhaust for a while now. How is this law any different?

Exactly my point. Why make another law when there is already a law in place? It's all about bigger 'guberment'! :mad: It's all about making more an more laws, that probably wont' even be inforced, rather than changing current laws to read properly. Or etc...

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
All it does is get rid of the loud fart cans and enforces pollution control, nothing about banning "after market" exhausts is mentioned. Reading comprehension is your friend!

Cherokeester

All it does is get rid of the loud fart cans and enforces pollution control, nothing about banning "after market" exhausts is mentioned. Reading comprehension is your friend!

Hardly, you don't tow a trailer up Spanish Fork canyon with a diesel truck.

(b) "Excessive or unusual noise" means any sound made by a passenger motor vehicle
37 or a motorcycle at any time under any condition of grade, acceleration, or deceleration which
38 exceeds 90 db(A) on a highway with a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour or 86
39 db(A) on a highway with a posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less:

What does this mean exactly?

A person may not operate a motor vehicle which produces excessive or unusual
noise on a highway

It is bills like this that sneak in and slowly change the laws, more than likely not in our favor.

Lka1988

poor college student
"c) A person may not use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device on a vehicle."

This is already in place. It's in the UT safety inspection handbook.

Lka1988

poor college student
You know, after reading through the whole thing (which isn't very long), I don't see what the big deal is... I can see motorcyclists getting riled up about it, since they all love those straight pipes, but like I said before, a loud bike is a safe bike (IMO...if you hear it, you know it's there).

Last edited:

rollover

This bill is to AMEND 41-6a-1626, as renumbered and amended by Laws of Utah 2005, Chapter 2

This is how it reads:

2010 GENERAL SESSION

STATE OF UTAH

Chief Sponsor: Patricia W. Jones

House Sponsor: ____________

8 LONG TITLE
9 General Description:
10 This bill modifies the Motor Vehicles Code by amending motor vehicle noise emission
11 standards.
12 Highlighted Provisions:
13 This bill:
14 . provides definitions;
15 . establishes maximum noise emission standards for a motor vehicle being operated
16 on a highway;
17 . prohibits a person from operating a motor vehicle that produces unusual or
18 excessive noise on a highway; and
19 . makes technical changes.
20 Monies Appropriated in this Bill:
21 None
22 Other Special Clauses:
23 None
24 Utah Code Sections Affected:
25 AMENDS:
26 41-6a-1626, as renumbered and amended by Laws of Utah 2005, Chapter 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the state of Utah:
29 Section 1. Section 41-6a-1626 is amended to read:
30 41-6a-1626. Mufflers -- Prevention of noise, smoke, and fumes -- Air pollution
31 control devices.
32 (1) As used in this section:
33 (a) "A-weighted sound level" means the sound pressure level measured by the use of an
34 instrument with the metering characteristics and A-weighting frequency response prescribed
35 for sound level meters.
36 (b) "Excessive or unusual noise" means any sound made by a passenger motor vehicle
37 or a motorcycle at any time under any condition of grade, acceleration, or deceleration which
38 exceeds 90 db(A) on a highway with a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour or 86
39 db(A) on a highway with a posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less:
40 (i) measured using an A-weighted sound level; and
41 (ii) based on a distance of 50 feet from the centerline of travel.
42 [(1)] (2) (a) A vehicle shall be equipped, maintained, and operated to prevent excessive
43 or unusual noise.
44 (b) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise
45 suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation.
46 (c) A person may not use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device on a vehicle.
47 (d) A person may not operate a motor vehicle which produces excessive or unusual
48 noise on a highway.
49 [(2)] (3) (a) Except while the engine is being warmed to the recommended operating
50 temperature, the engine and power mechanism of a:
51 (i) gasoline-powered motor vehicle may not emit visible contaminants during
52 operation;
53 (ii) diesel engine manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, may not emit visible
54 contaminants of a shade or density darker than 20% opacity; and
55 (iii) diesel engine manufactured before January 1, 1973, may not emit visible
56 contaminants of a shade or density darker than 40% opacity.
57 (b) A person who violates the provisions of Subsection [(2)] (3)(a) is guilty of a class C

58 misdemeanor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[(3)] (4) (a) A motor vehicle equipped by a manufacturer with air pollution control
60 devices shall maintain the devices in good working order and in constant operation.
61 (b) For purposes of the first sale of a vehicle at retail, an air pollution control device
62 may be substituted for the manufacturer's original device if the substituted device is at least as
63 effective in the reduction of emissions from the vehicle motor as the air pollution control
64 device furnished by the manufacturer of the vehicle as standard equipment for the same vehicle
65 class.
66 (c) A person who renders inoperable an air pollution control device on a motor vehicle
67 is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.
68 [(4)] (5) Subsection [(3)] (4) does not apply to a motor vehicle altered and modified to
69 use clean fuel, as defined under Section 59-13-102 , when the emissions from the modified or
70 altered motor vehicle are at levels that comply with existing state or federal standards for the
71 emission of pollutants from a motor vehicle of the same class.

Last edited:

4 SALE

but like I said before, a loud bike is a safe bike (IMO...if you hear it, you know it's there).

It's not gonna change a thing with mtorcycles, they will continue to be loud and annoying (in a good way) and ride how they want. I know I would. All I know is people heard me coming on my Harley and I wouldn't have it any other way.