?'s on a project Idea

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
Well This wont happen for a while till the medical bills are payed ,but I just scored a free isuzu pickup(2wd and crap motor) off my girlfriends dad. So I want to convert to 4wd(solid axle) and put a better, more pwoerful, reliable, fuel injected motor in it (that is still easy to swap).and an automatic. So what Is going to be easy to swap, reliable and powerful for a trail rig/ winter DD, and not taking redneck shortcuts? Just looking for Ideas to do to it, so I can have something to wheel again. Or is it a lost cause to try to do this to this truck?
Thanks for all info
-Harlem

skittles

throttle body 350 chevy is what most people will prolly say. just swap a 22re in there is what i would do. bullet proof engine. won't break a lot of stuff. real simple to do. or just a isuzu fuel injected 4 cylinder would work too.

-trent

crapmanche4l

I want abit more power than the isuzu motor can put out and the 22re, depending on how its built I guess. But anyway kepp the optiions rolling. Thanks

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
skittles said:
throttle body 350 chevy is what most people will prolly say. just swap a 22re in there is what i would do. bullet proof engine. won't break a lot of stuff. real simple to do. or just a isuzu fuel injected 4 cylinder would work too.

-trent
Won't a 22re be pretty gutless when you bolt an automatic tranny to it?

way2nosty

some Isuzus used GM 2.8-3.1s with a 60degree nv3500 trans and a 231 swapping in a modern 4.3 4l60e and 246 most of the crosses would line up maybe some mods needed. 3.5L dohc gm motor is pretty smokin' from an alero or intrigue.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
crapmanche4l said:
How easy would it be to swap in a whole s10 drivetrain but with some like 3/4 ton axle instead of the s10 axle
Harder then it would be to leave the drivetrain in the s10 and put 3/4 ton axles in the s10 and wheel that.

crapmanche4l

Tis true it will be tonz harder, butthen why doesnt everyone wheel 3/4 or one tonford dodge and chevys being as thats all most of them are? Idont have a s10(swaping was Ideas)not sure, havent got the title yet so not sure on year yet

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
crapmanche4l said:
Tis true it will be tonz harder, butthen why doesnt everyone wheel 3/4 or one tonford dodge and chevys being as thats all most of them are? Idont have a s10(swaping was Ideas)not sure, havent got the title yet so not sure on year yet
Because 3/4 ton trucks are huge and heavy and not ideally suitable for extreme trail use (no offense to anyone wheeling one). There's not much of a difference in the dimensions of an s10 and your Isuzu. Do you want to build the isuzu because that's what fell into your lap, or do you want to build it because you really like Isuzus?

crapmanche4l

Point taken. I want to build it because it fell in to my lap :) I've never cared much for them, but I've been hearingthey have good frames and are a good place to start

kobyhud

Lurker
Depending on year and model you can swap in a camaro 3.4L motor very easily with a direct bolt in on the auto tranny. If its an auto it might be one of the AW variants that will just bolt up some toyota t-cases.

You will need to get an ID on that rear axle... if its an isuzu 12bolt its a keeper...

As for the SAS... its pretty simple.