Safe To Double-Pull with Truck Bed Trailer?

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Serious question here. I don't want to hurt my gear or anyone else on the road.

Would it be safe to hook my 5x8 cargo trailer (enclosed) behind a truck-bed trailer?

The truck-bed trailer would hold a mini-buggy and the cargo trailer would hold a couple of ATV's (I can fit a 4-wheeler + 3-wheeler no problem).

The truck-bed trailer would easily be able to handle the weight as the frame is a freaking truck frame.
What about sway?
What about to much front weight?
Again, I want to be safe here.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Thanks. I have had the thought a couple of times and figured I would get some opinions. I figured it wouldn't be the most ideal situation and the second trailer would absolutely need trailer brakes.

In case it makes a difference; I would have taken off the bed portion and made a very stout flat-bed trailer for the mini-buggy.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
never double pull with both bumper pulls, i did a wreck on i15 a few weeks ago with a guy doing almost the same thing. lost control and flipped both trailers

Mug

PHORmerly
I thought it was illegal in UT to double pull from bumpers. You could only double up with a fifth wheel then bumper pull. NOT SURE THOUGH.

Chevycrew

There is a thread I did on this a while back...

Ill find it, but 2 bumper pull trailers is legal in Utah and many other states.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Legal or not, wouldn't the single axle truck-bed trailer be VERY likely to sway and get that rear trailer wigglin' pretty bad?

Legal or not, wouldn't the single axle truck-bed trailer be VERY likely to sway and get that rear trailer wigglin' pretty bad?

That's my humble opinion.

Done the double a couple times...not a big fan, and that's behind my PJ w/jeep that usually trailers like it's on rails. Can't imagine with two short single axle trailers, especially one based on a pickup frame trailer.

ID Bronco

My boss pulled his duck hunting boat and a drift boat behind that from IF to Canada and back with no problems except the Mounties got irritated at the border. I told him not to do it, but he said it was fine. Much lighter weight trailers and cargo.

ammo_bru

I think you can pull 2 bumper pulls. I think that the first trailer has to have brakes.

You have changed to a flat bed, do a little more work and make it bigger.

rollover

Dont do it.
That would be way to unstable for a single axle in the middle for sure. Your enclosed would act as a big air brake at the rear as well.
JM2C

ricsrx

My nieghbor fliped his back trailer w/ATV's going down parly's..not good.
He is an exellent driver, he said once the back trailer started to get out of control there was no stopping it, going down hill anyway.