Saginaw P.S. Pump Res. and Pulley

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Ok, I'm geting ready to had ram assist to the rig and I have a saginaw canned ham type power steering pump. I am under the assumption that I will need to have a bigger res. for extra fluid and more volume. What are some options? Does someone make a different larger res that fits the standard pump, or do I tap the resivoir and had another external overflow? Also since it will be out, I am looking for a smaller pulley for it, the one I have now is over 6 inches and I heard there are some for the saginaw pumps around 4-4.5 inches standard v belt pulleys. Thanks Kiel

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
does the later model signaw pumps use the same mounting pattern. I already have the bracket etc.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've been running the standard pump (can housing) for a couple years now with the RL4x4 ram assist... can't say its ever been a problem?

Before you go swapping things out I would just run it. I did mod my pump (spring & orfice mods). It has been great...

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
I saw one in Moab that had a piece of hose clamped around the fillneck of the "canned ham" and a new cap mounted up about 6 or 8 inches higher. Come to think of it I believe he might have just cut the upper part of the neck off and reused the original style cap. That apparently increases the volume more than enough. Looked clean too.

78mitsu

a properly sized auxillary cooler for the powersteering system should provide more then enough capacity. if not why not just cut the top of the tube and extend it 3-4 inches and re-weld it, I think a piece of black pipe is the same size.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Thats what the plan was, but your right a good cooler would add enough fluid I think to solve the problem

willies45

willies45
I have a sag. pump with ram assist on a cj-7 and I did the add a hose on top of the pump and ran it up and clamped it to the gill support rod. I had an old seized up pump that I cut the neck off of and then used it on top with the cap to still have a seal. It has worked great and gives the extra volume that is needed. The only thing be sure that the tude you use will not break down with power steering fluid. The only thing that I found that right I.D. was marine exhaust hose and will not break down.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
cruiseroutfit said:
I've been running the standard pump (can housing) for a couple years now with the RL4x4 ram assist... can't say its ever been a problem?

I'm in the same boat as Kurt. Standard canned ham res with no mods. I use the 1.5" x 8" assist ram. Fluid capacity hasn't been a problem.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
spaggyroe said:
I'm in the same boat as Kurt. Standard canned ham res with no mods. I use the 1.5" x 8" assist ram. Fluid capacity hasn't been a problem.

Same with my CJ7. RL ram assist chevy 350 blah blah blah just get a new pump and run it.

KENENTH !!