Salt Lake City Area Trail books

Hello,
Anyone know if there is a book that has 4x4 trails around Salt Lake City area? I have seen plenty of Moab books but non about norther Utah SLC area. If there are some where would be the best place to find one locally in SLC. I will be traveling there July 28 thru Aug 3.

Thanks for your help.

So far the only trail I know of is American Fork Canyon, UT - Mary Ellen Gulch.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
There are actually a lot of "trails" or dirt roads in the Tooele Area (Just west of Salt Lake). what are you looking to do?

Well I am not too experienced with rocks since here in South Florida all we have is water and mud. I have done steep climbs with my TJ in a place called Hard Rock in Ocala, FL.
I will be on a Stock rental 4wd 4door JK, I will have to limit to what I can do with it without breaking it :). It is my first trip out west so lots of scenery for pics and some wheeling action.

I see lots of roads on Goggle Earth but I want to make sure I do not go into some dirt roads that are not legal. example I found a trail that leads to an abandon mine that goes thru a water fall called doughnut falls and it end at a place called Abandoned Mining Buildling at the Cardiff Mine based on Google Earth markers.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I see lots of roads on Goggle Earth but I want to make sure I do not go into some dirt roads that are not legal. example I found a trail that leads to an abandon mine that goes thru a water fall called doughnut falls and it end at a place called Abandoned Mining Buildling at the Cardiff Mine based on Google Earth markers.

Closed for ~10 years now unless your a private property owner.

For reference there is literally nothing in Salt Lake County proper that is open to 4x4 access. Look towards Tooele and Utah County for close to SLC options. Other than that the Uintas (east of SLC) and Logan area (North of SLC) have excellent opportunities.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Send me a PM with your email addy and I will send you a Google Earth KMZ with a lot of trails in the Tooele Area that you won't get "too much" rocky mountain pinstriping on your rental :)

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson also have a book called Back country Adventures and it covers the whole state of Utah... I think I got the book at 4 wheel parts out on Redwood road and about 1800 south...

It has pictures, gps coordinates and maps... and its broken down into regions... they also have books for like Colorado, California and I think Nevada...

Is this the same book your talking about Kurt?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
American Fork Canyon over to Midway would be a fun, scenic and easy drive, there's some challenging stuff if you head up towards either Forest Lake or Mineral Basin.

kbjames

JeepNWilly,

Here is a link to a map of American Fork Canyon

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/brochures/2004/af_canyon_trail_map.pdfhttp://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/brochures/2004/af_canyon_trail_map.pdfhttp://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/brochures/2004/af_canyon_trail_map.pdfhttp://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uinta/maps/brochures/2004/af_canyon_trail_map.pdf

Download the map to your PC, go to the 2nd page, and rotate it so you can easily read the map.

For a very scenic drive around the front of Mt. Timpanagos, drive to the Timpooneke campground and take road 056. Its a cinch in a stock jeep but is rutted out enough to keep your interest up. When you get around to the front you'll have amazing views of timp up close as well as views of the entire Utah County Valley.

Mineral basin road, 007 once you get past the 198 turnoff may be a bit much for a stock vehicle. I drive a 07 FJ with a 3 inch lift and 33's and I was struggling for clearance in the first obstacle the rock garden. Even did some decent damage to my muffler which is tucked high and tight on my vehicle.

ZUKEYPR

There's a few up here other than pavement. My recommendation for super scenery moderate wheeling are in bold print. If you're good with a GPS let me know and I can hook you up.

Argyle Canyon Trail

Brown's Park Trail

Clear Creek Ridge Trail

Cottonwood Canyon Trail

Confusion Range Trail

Dry Canyon Trail

Echo Park & Yampa Bench Trail

Franks Canyon & Sand Wash Trail

Frisco Ghost Town Trail

Frisco Peak Trail

Green River Overlook Trail

Hardware Ranch Road

Idaho Loop

Inspiration Point Trail

Left Hand Fork Canyon Trail

Lincoln Mine Trail

Millville Canyon

Nine Mile Canyon Trail

Old Ephraim Trail

Peter Sinks Trail

Pony Express Trail

Providence Canyon

Rainbow and Island Park Trail

Rainbow & Watson Ghost Town Trail

Reservation Ridge Trail

Silver Island Mountains Loop

Sawtooth Mountain Trail

Soldier Pass Trail

Strawberry Valley Trail

Tabbyune Creek Trail

Temple Canyon Trail

Timber Canyon Trail

Transcontinental Railroad Trail

Twin Hollow Trail

Wendover to Lucin Trail

Forrest Lake, AF Canyon, Utah
Alta Dry Fork

Graveyard Flats

Lower Major Evans

Upper Major Evan Gultch

Mary Ellen Gulch, AF Canyon, Utah

Milkmaid Trail, AF Canyon, Utah

Miller Hill, AF Canyon, Utah

Mineral Basin, AF Canyon, Utah

Mona Pole Trail

Rattlesnake

Constrictor

Craner Canyon Mines

Craner Canyon Springs

Monarch Canyon

Peepstone Canyon

Vindicator Canyon

Ophir Canyon

Davenport canyon

Mine road to North and South willow Lake

Gardners Fork, Uintas, Utah

Gold Hill

Murdock Basin, Uintas, Utah

South Fork Weber Canyon, Uintas, Utah

Upper Setting, Uintas, Utah

There's a few up here other than pavement. My recommendation for super scenery moderate wheeling are in bold print. If you're good with a GPS let me know and I can hook you up.
Thanks and much appreciated

GPS is my life so please hook me up :D. I can PM you my email if it makes it easier.
I travel with it all the time. I have traveled the entire east coast of the US with my trusty GPS :D

ZUKEYPR

PM me with it. All the points are in UTM which I use, that is unless I have to call in lifeflight then I use Degree, min, sec...................don't know why I would say that.;)

Edit: it will not be until later tonigh tor tomorrow before I can get it to you. All that stuff is on my home PC. I'm not sure which you are coming but if it's via I-70 you're probably missing one of the best rides that you can have, that being in the San Rafael Swell just west of Green River, Utah. I got all that as well if you so choose.

Last edited:
PM me with it. All the points are in UTM which I use, that is unless I have to call in lifeflight then I use Degree, min, sec...................don't know why I would say that.;)

Edit: it will not be until later tonigh tor tomorrow before I can get it to you. All that stuff is on my home PC. I'm not sure which you are coming but if it's via I-70 you're probably missing one of the best rides that you can have, that being in the San Rafael Swell just west of Green River, Utah. I got all that as well if you so choose.
No rush as I arrive there on July 28. I just need a day to add the coordinates.
That sounds good too :D. I am flying in to SLC and driving up to Snow Bird to check in on July 28th.

kbjames

Jeep,

I may be able to do an evening run with you after work sometime. :)

AF Canyon is a nice spot and will be closest to where you are.

Kalen