Sami's 1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS

With the Xterra leaving the corral I've been on the hunt for something to replace it. The Xterra left big shoes to fill, as I really enjoyed that rig. It had tons of space, loads of power, was super comfy, and looked sharp.. New requirements/priorities was roomy (2 dogs), automatic tranny (Jacey's thing, not mine), 4x4, I preferred 4 doors, and a budget of around $2-3k; that price range narrows the field greatly. I looked hard into 1st & 2nd gen 4runners, FJ80 LC's, and Monteros. I kept coming back to the Monteros for the amount of usable space inside, their rumored reliability, 4 doors, possible 7 seats, limited slip and factory air locker options, and the prices are right on these things. 1st gen 4runners, I just couldn't do 2 doors amd the interiors don't seem as big as Monteros or FJ80's. 2nd gen 4runners are plagued with 3.0 motors and mega rust. FJ80's are a bit above my targeted price range, and I didn't want to wait another 2-4 months to be in the right range to pick up a decent '91-94ish 80 series.

Anyways, Spence had answered a lot of my questions about Monteros and helped send sale ads my way. I had narrowed down to te 2nd gen Montero and was waiting for the right one to pop up. Spence called me out of the blue and offered his '91 at a price that was too good to pass up. His rig is a clean California specimen that has been kept in very nice shape and boasts a rebuilt motor along with numerous new parts under the hood. Spence called me on Tuesday, Jacey and I drove it that night and bought the next day.

Here's the truck cleaned up a bit the second day I've had it; it's no beauty queen but it'll follow through on what we need in a 4x4 for now:

0281b2bd.jpg

9d8a2df6.jpg

286ccb50.jpg

694a14f4.jpg

b1a7b36c.jpg

d305bb15.jpg

528d6f22.jpg

2b3c58cf.jpg

573a470e.jpg

10e7081d.jpg

b8e8451d.jpg

Last edited:

MattL

Nice looking rig. I too am excited to see the direction.
What is the power like compared to your old 4runner and xterra?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Congratulations, Jason! I loved where Spence was going with this, so I'm excited to see what you do.

Whens our first trip out with it? :)

I honestly don't know if I'll get out anywhere before I hit the Baja1k. If anything a quick desert jaunt to put some holes in stuff with guns for an hour or two.

I think it needs some one ton axles and 40" tires ;)

I'm thinking OME and 32's, or 255/85's. ;)

Nice looking rig. I too am excited to see the direction.
What is the power like compared to your old 4runner and xterra?

Thanks. The 3.0 V6 in this rig is 100hp+ shy of the Xterra's 4.0 V6, which is obviously very noticeable. It's not too far off of the 3.4 V6 in the 4runner though. It's peppy around the streets and gets up to speed on the highway quickly. Where I notice the difference is on hills or passing once already up to 70-75mph. A huge benefit over the 4runner is the fuel capacity, From 16ish gallons in the 4runner vs 24gal in the Montero.

MattL

Thanks. The 3.0 V6 in this rig is 100hp+ shy of the Xterra's 4.0 V6, which is obviously very noticeable. It's not too far off of the 3.4 V6 in the 4runner though. It's peppy around the streets and gets up to speed on the highway quickly. Where I notice the difference is on hills or passing once already up to 70-75mph. A huge benefit over the 4runner is the fuel capacity, From 16ish gallons in the 4runner vs 24gal in the Montero.

Well that will be nice. I love the Runner I have but that bloody small tank is always a bummer for the longer trips. I have always loved the Montero's

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I give you 8 months before you sell...

;)

Maybe, who knows. I just really got sick of being without a 4x4 and needed something to haul the dogs around. If it doesn't work out I'll trade up down the road.. Loving no car payments...

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Maybe, who knows. I just really got sick of being without a 4x4 and needed something to haul the dogs around. If it doesn't work out I'll trade up down the road.. Loving no car payments...

Understood.
Been without a car payment for a couple years, Good times.

BTW, I have scratched that itch before myself...

3408789802_45a61e0b8d.jpg

Lets go shootin!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Got out for some shooting and muddy road testing with the Montero today..

33be2dfe.jpg

99359dc2.jpg

Paul R didn't know that this Ilean walking target is .22 and handguns only.. .223 shreds right through it.
33c16e33.jpg

I tooled around on some random muddy roads mixed with rocky sections and gooey mud sections.. I was blown away at this truck's ability to just putter through some slick snot mud, inspite of the oldish A/T tires. I chose a hill covered in gooey mud, about 2 truck lengths long, and rocked it in 4WD. I took it with a minimal run, not even a lot of speed because I didn't want to chance breaking anything; as the truck crest the top of the hill it slowed down to a point that I thought for sure it would stop any forward momentum and I'd have to back down.. To my amazement the truck slowly clawed its way up and out without even struggling. I dig not having that damn VDC that was on the Xterra.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

:D

I took some friends shooting, and one girl shot one of Carl's targets with an AR-15. It looked exactly like that.

Glad to hear you're liking the rig. I think it's a classy looking vehicle.

Paul R

SAMI said:
Got out for some shooting and muddy road testing with the Montero today...

Good time out shooting! Loved the Montero. I still feel sheepish about shooting through the damn walking target :ugh::busted:. Sorry!

:D

I took some friends shooting, and one girl shot one of Carl's targets with an AR-15. It looked exactly like that.

Indeed it was Mesha's AR that produced the hole. The target didn't even flinch.