Samurai engine and trans swap ideas?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Ok, I have an 86 samurai that is currently running the stock 1.3 liter on propane with stock 5 spd and 6.4 t case. But my engine is starting to burn a little oil on steep climbs etc. I have another 1.3 core block I was planning on building up just a little for the propane, but have decided it might be time for an upgrade. I was thinking 16v 1.6 out of a tracker and swaping in the 3 spd auto from the same sidekick and t case also mounted to my samurai 6.4 case. All this can be done with just an inexpensive adapter kit and a t case adapter keeping everything in it's stock locations. I am hoping to swap this drivetrain into a light weight tube buggy later so any ideas are open. Plus I know that the automatic to doubled t cases will give me a crazy crawl, but I think the option would be cool or at least fun. Also Should I keep the propane setup for now since it's all set up? I would used the multiport setup later in the buggy If I did switch it. What do you guys think? I know this a crazy long paragraph also!:eek:

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Hey,

As far as engine swaps the 1.6 16 valve is ideal. It maintains the factory stock radiator etc.. Also the auto trans and a kicker 2 from ott industries works good. That is what I am currently using and you can use either and auto or a manual trans. This makes it nice. I would suggest finding a whole donor vehicle that way you aren't chasing expensive parts like starter alt dist etc... You would then upgrade to a toyota t case and get some extra beef. As far as I know there is no such thing as a 3 speed auto trans ran in combination with a 16 valve engine. You would have to get an older model auto trans. I have plenty of parts kicking around. Including a 3 speed trans or two. If you wanted the 4 speed auto trans with the user selectable overdrive to work at it's peak you could have them wire it when they do up your harness. If you do decide to use the kicker t case be prepared for a long wait or have someone local fix you up. Might be in the best interest to order it now to avoid a 8-10 week or longer wait time. http://www.ottindustries.com/kicker2.htm Definetly the 1.6 is an ideal conversion and gives you tons of power and runs smooth as glass.

W5CEU

W5CEU
If you want extra some work..... I was going to put a Ford 2.8 and a C4 automatic panfill with a fixed yoke in mine but I sold it first.Just a few mounts and have a small drive line made from the fixed yoke on the C4 and to the stock transfer case.The engine is tiny , smaller than the stocker in length and a few inches wider (the intake manifold is like 4" wide) the pan fill C4 is about the same length as the stock sammy trans.It would make alot more power and I dont think it would break the rest of the Sammy up.
Oh... if you want the set up $100 takes it-Could use a rebuild. -Terry

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
What is the motor out of? Pinto maybe? I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm thinking of redoing the body into a complete tube buggy and a 16 valve swap /auto tarns etc and keeping my suspension axles etc. Or even toyed with building a tracker/sidekick based buggy and swapping my axles suspension under it. Or get a buggy chassis built and go all 1 ton. But I'm not that rich, so I'm leaning away from that.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
http://acmeadapters.com/index.php?sound=Y

1.6 diesel VW motor... :greg: It's a very simple motor that makes more than enough power for a Sammi. 75hp & 100ft/lbs... and easy to tune for more.

I've been researching putting a 1.9 VW TDI into a Toyota for a daily driver. Seems like 280ft/lbs is pretty do-able.

Last edited: