Samurai Engine Swap???

COMP4x4

I have an 87 samurai with a bad head. I was thinking while I am in there, why not swap the whole thing?
I can get a 1996 16 valve Tracker engine but it has no wiring harness, ecu, or anything else as far as wiring goes. How hard is it to find those items and what years should I look for?
Also where can I find more info?

Thanks alot

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
COMP4x4 said:
I have an 87 samurai with a bad head. I was thinking while I am in there, why not swap the whole thing?
I can get a 1996 16 valve Tracker engine but it has no wiring harness, ecu, or anything else as far as wiring goes. How hard is it to find those items and what years should I look for?

Thanks alot

Here is a write up of a 1.6 swap.

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/_images/2003/2-0216vmotor/2-0316vmotor.html

Rocky Road Outfitters has a kit with the adapter plate and motor mount adapters if you want to get those from someone nearby.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
COMP4x4 said:

Thanks alot

those items are VERY expensive. you would probably be out 500$+ at a salvage yard for the ECU and wiring. go find a wrecked one or watch e-bay.

Rabidray

e.f.i

a few months ago i attempted altering the wireing harnnes from a 89 kick....

as i know virtualy nil about efi it is not going well all i have now is a hacked up harness......and this is a tbi setup it should have been simple{or so i thought} ...

as time permits i do lay out the wires and look at the schematics and trace connections from the ecu to the various parts of the sytem......

but i cant get a good veiw in my mind of what i need too do.......

i used to biuld and repair cb,s and ham radio gear so i have some small back ground in elctronics , but it is not translateing very well......

the 16v has a lot more stuff going on than the tbi .....i dont know your back ground and im not saying it cant be done because it can justnot by me......

Lazarus401

Old Time RME'r
My BIL built his own wiring harness with the help of his dad, when he did his 16v 1.6 swap. It took them some time, but it works great. They said to make sure that you have a good engine manual for both engines in order to trace everything right. Saved them like $400, since they didnt have to buy one.