Samurai Shifting?

I just picked up an '87 Samurai. When coasting to a stop, I have to wait until completely stopped before making the 2 to 1 shift. If I try to shift from 2 to 1 while still moving, the gears will grind. Is this normal, or is the first gear synchro shot?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
That is pretty normal for zuk trannies with any mileage on them. If you can upshift from 1-2 easily then don't worry about it. I rebuilt my trans back in the day and it never did like the downshift 2-1.

I would try the clutch adjustment, you can change where the clutch is on the pedal by a LOT! Just make sure it has a little slack in the cable when the clutch pedal is all the way out and then you can adjust it from there.

zukking01

I have owned a few zuk's and there were 3 of them that had this "problem" I rebuilt the trans and installed a new clutch and it still did it. I think it is normal for them to be like that. No cause for concern.

Coco

Mine did the same problem. Then the clutch when't out in mine. I put a new clutch in, and it is fine now. Just take it easy on the clutch, if it is anything like mine, then the clutch will go out when you shift 2-1 while moving. Mine is fine now with the new clutch in.

I found a complete factory service manual for an '87 online. :D There are three adjustments for the clutch.

The first was the clutch pedal stop. This was way off. I adjusted so that the clutch pedal was level with the brake pedal.

Second was the clutch pedal free travel. This was off as well. The manual calls for .8 to 1.1 inches of free travel. I had about 2.5 inches.

Last, the manual calls for at least 6mm of thread sticking out of the nut on the end of the clutch cable. This adjustment was ok on mine.

After adjusting everything, I still have to come to a complete stop before downshifting 2 to 1. :( I guess I'll live with it for now.