Samurais are worth 800 bucks

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
What is the deal with 5-10 THOUSAND dollar samurais for sale lately. I love samurais more than anybody should. I've been wheeling them for over 10 years at this point, but the cheapness is half the beauty of them.

Just a rant, but unless it has a turbo diesel in it, I can't see a sami holding that much value.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
hahahaha, I concur my friend!!!

I've had plenty of cool SJ's in the past from pristine to extremely beat crawler and non of them ever creeped above the 2K range when mildly built and acquired.

I think its just the fact that they are becoming really scarce to find in the used for sale market.

[video=vimeo;75739560]http://vimeo.com/75739560[/video]

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I hate this fact as well because I'd love to get one for my son when he's like 8 but at this rate they'll be $20k

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
They were $800 a decade ago. Now because they have either a) rusted away or b) all been chopped up into crawlers, any that are in half decent condition command a high price. On one hand, I also lament the rise in price, but on the other I'm not surprised and am glad because that means that if I one day decide to sell mine, I'll get some good money out of it.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Okay, for those that don't know, here is how it works.

Suzuki makes a lot of boat motors

Boat motors are around 100 bucks per horse power.

Therefore, the Suzuki Samurai is worth 5000 dollars.

Simple really ;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think its the fact that slowly but surely, all owners will die in a horrible firey rollover. Therefore less samurais are on the road thus causing an increase in perceived value

jallen9

I drove a sammy in high school, and I loved it. it was the first 4x4 I had. My dad bought it for, yes, $800. he sold it when I was a missionary for $1200. That's after a high school kid drove it and got it stuck in mud all the time and got rear ended. A guy in a silverado hit me and dented the rear door. My dad kept the money and didn't bother fixing it. That was back in 2000. I think if we extrapolated that increase to today, that thing is worth the $10,000 that you're talking about. It's just because they're so rare and have such a huge cult following. Of course, I went to a wedding to a tiny island in the carribean 3 years ago, and they were everywhere, along with their replacements. I think they were called Jimnys or something like that. I think they had tiny diesel engines too.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I hope the Samurai price increase starts rolling over to the Sidekick's soon :D

I'd be surprised. They brought WAY more Sidekicks/Trackers to the US than Samurai's and there isn't nearly as big of a following.

I think they were called Jimnys or something like that. I think they had tiny diesel engines too.

Jimny's are awesome. Coil sprung, they come with either a really awesome variant of the G13 I4 that we got in the states (The G13BB) with multi port fuel injection, or a sweet 1.4L Turbo Diesel. They were all over in Australia as well. I wanted to rent one, but the rental company I got my car from didn't have any at the time. Sucked. :(

MattL

jimny do look pretty cool[video=youtube_share;3XlSXALmbFk]http://youtu.be/3XlSXALmbFk[/video]

flexyfool

GDW
Hard to find?! There are 6 for sale in the Boise Craigslist. $1500 for a parts rig. $2500 for something ugly but running. $8200 for something claimed to be "better than new".

They seem to be priced about the same as the Willys Jeeps.

For comparison, a junker car that can be driven away goes for at least $1200.

The purchasing power of the dollar has decreased about 60% since 1985 when the Samurai was 1st sold in the US.

Last edited:

jallen9

$100 per HP? shoot my 87 samurai would have been worth $6500! I could make it up hills and everything if I had no passenger and it wasn't a headwind.

although, if I could build as many cars as I wanted, one of them would definitely be a sammy with a VW diesel swap and some pretty rad suspension. too bad they're not as plentiful as XJs are.

sswens1

Nextdoor neighbor sold his recently in pristine working condition for $2500. It was all stock, but was garage kept and one owner. I would think that 95% would not be in that kind of conditon and maybe worth half of that. Perhaps he could have got more money since it did sell very quickly. Sorry no picture

airmanwilliams

Hmm wonder what I could get for mine? What do you guys think? $4500 haha

Attachments

• 1523737_10153786073910193_1987905340_o.jpg
    1523737_10153786073910193_1987905340_o.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 75063_10153786073860193_1616521623_a.jpg
    75063_10153786073860193_1616521623_a.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 29