San Juan Elk: Looking for advice

What should I steer my dad towards?

• You don't need a guide: Your navigation skills will trump any needed knowledge of the area

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So my dad got his elk permit for the San Juan hunt this year. Somehow it's become my problem (I guess since I know my way around Moab?---not exactly at Abajo Mtn.) to make sure he knows how to get around down there. Closest I've been to that range is Newspaper Rock. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of my skills and ability to help navigate the terrain around that area. I have maps, I have some GPS tracks, I have some other items.

In my opinion, if you've gotten this tag that seems quite coveted, I'd throw down a bit of $ to a guide to make sure I get the animal that this tag is supposed to deliver. Not my tag, not my $, not my decision.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a guide or if one is necessary in this area? My dad seems convinced that there is a 1:1 cow/bull relationship in the area and he's just going to be able to road hunt and get a 350ish or greater bull. I am having a hard time thinking that is realistic at all after watching my brother hike the Northern Cache unit to the tune of 106 Google Earth miles to get his bull (about a 320ish or so?) on the last afternoon of the last hunt he could.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

my neighbor hunts there all the time and he always comes home with a bull. Most of the time it's not far from the road. Then again, he grew up there and knows the roads like the back of his hand.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not that I know anything, but my suggestion would be to start around Bears Ears Pass and scope out roads from there, heading North-East and around the area. There some massive canyons out there, so if you're planning on hunting around them, plan your shot or you're going to have to work hard on the retrieval!

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
There are a few in the area that know the unit really well, Mossback, BTO Outfitters (Todd Black) are the two that come to my mind, I know alot of people dont like MB, but Ii know him personally and he is a great guy, they have always treated me great! Go onto monster muleys and ask big6 on there he might know the area well, or give me a call and I can give you some numbers of people who know the area and can give you some recomends on areas 8013620725

corbin.black

I grew up in monticello and have been along on the elk hunt several times on the abajo mountain. Im also related to BTO outfitters (my last name is Black lol) and would recommend them if you decide to go the guide route. My brother in law and neice both got the same tag this year so im sure they will be asking me questions about where to go as well. I haven't been down there a while, so let me talk with my grand father (he has lived in blanding his whole life and knows the abajo's better than the back of his hand) and see if he has any tips of where to go now since I haven't been down in a while.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I grew up in monticello and have been along on the elk hunt several times on the abajo mountain. Im also related to BTO outfitters (my last name is Black lol) and would recommend them if you decide to go the guide route. My brother in law and neice both got the same tag this year so im sure they will be asking me questions about where to go as well. I haven't been down there a while, so let me talk with my grand father (he has lived in blanding his whole life and knows the abajo's better than the back of his hand) and see if he has any tips of where to go now since I haven't been down in a while.

About 1/2 the people in Monticello have the last name Black :)

corbin.black

I'm related to them all!! and the barton's haha
both sides of my family traveled to san juan county with the Martin and Willie hand cart companies.. I'm related to over 75% of the town

mbryson

Supporting Member
I just got back today. Awesome area. LOTS of animals but we hadn't put an elk of appropriate size in front of my dad when I left. LOTS OF WATER in the way of rain and hail at 9000'. Had a bear issue the other night. That was fun. Slept next to the AR15 that night. Not sure if 55 grain varmint tips would take it out but it would definitely do some damage and made me sleep better

mbryson

Supporting Member
Oh, I took the JKU down sans plumbed ARB lockers. 114" wheelbase(?), 4.88 gears and 35" tires will take you a LOT of places even in mud. The electronic traction control (which I really don't care for) actually worked pretty good in the mud (4 high range).

I can pack A LOT of stuff in the JKU but still prefer my hard side trailer for actual camping. That much rain and a tent is a pain. Tent came through like a champ. I have a Eureka Outfitter 4 man a-frame and its quite waterproof. I'm impressed with it.

This sucks typing on my phone and I left my computer at work on purpose. I'll update for real Thursday sometime as I get back into my routine. I'll get my jeep cleaned up, take it back to the dealer for an electrical issue that cropped up with the turn signals (just as I left the dealership for a different issue the other day) and get all camping crap cleaned up and put away tomorrow.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I just got back today. Awesome area. LOTS of animals but we hadn't put an elk of appropriate size in front of my dad when I left. LOTS OF WATER in the way of rain and hail at 9000'. Had a bear issue the other night. That was fun. Slept next to the AR15 that night. Not sure if 55 grain varmint tips would take it out but it would definitely do some damage and made me sleep better

Bummer, did you see a lot of healthy elk though?

mbryson

Supporting Member

I didn't ask them for a health report but there were quite a few bugles going in the morning and evening. It was a pretty cool experience to have with my dad, brother and a couple nephews. We had three other guys with us that were what I'd call "elk junkies". One had hunted the area quite a few times. His dad had taken a buck deer a few years earlier, he snagged a bear a while ago and he'd been on a few other hunts. Elk are funky. They're just coming into rut and the weather seemed to throw them off a wee bit. If you go in after them, you can sneak up on them a little but it's just blind luck when you find them. We used the spotting scopes quite a bit and identified quite a few larger animals. Most are in areas it'll be tough to get my dad into. There's a few they were working on they could get them to. Two groups around us had taken their elk and they were pretty impressive.

I personally only saw one elk. 3 point but he looked pretty good. I saw more buck deer than I've seen cumulatively in my life. I saw at least 60 bucks in the three days I was there. Most were kind of young, but there were about three I would probably take if I had a permit (which sounds like it's about a 20 year occurance?). All four were four points but kind of unique in the way their antlers grew. I did get a glimpse of a group of bigguns but couldn't get good glass on them quick enough to validate what I saw through my Bushnell 10 power binoculars. They were out about 200 yards and were in a clearing long enough to know they were deer and bigger than the four point I was looking at.

We didn't exactly have a "dirty" camp but could have been more bear-proof. The bear that came into our camp was quite educated about coolers and totes in that it'll just knock them around until they spill their contents. She would then invite her cubs to come in and chow down. This is exactly what happened. About 1 am I heard what I hoped was a coon or similar milling around about 20' from my tent under our canopy. Turns out it was the big sow just doing some recon. She must have found what she wanted because she returned after we scared her off with chirping our horns on our cars.

About 2am I awake to hearing someone waking me as they knew I had my Kahr CW9 in my tent with me (7 rounds---9mm). He had a 45 with 7 rounds and was about ready to draw and wanted to get me involved. We decided to try the "Panic" button on another tent's Duramax. That actually got the bears moving out of there but we didn't know for how long. I've not been able to get out and shoot for 3-4 months so I had brought my 30-06 and my AR-15. I was strongly encouraged to load 30 rounds in my AR before we settled back to bed. Pretty interesting laying in a tent, armed pretty well and waiting to find out if momma and two cubs were coming back. Not a lot of sleep was had from that time on.

We were visited by the local DWR guys later the next day warning us about bears in the area. They described this bear and cubs to a "T". We then relayed our story (conveniently leaving out that if the bear came back, it was getting some firepower back) to the ranger. I'm still not sure how I would feel about firing on the bear just trying to scavenge food but if there was true/actual danger to life/limb, I'm lighting that AR up. Not sure how effective 55 grain varmints would be against a sow bear but we thought if I went through 30 rounds and hit 5ish it'd be interesting (maybe not in a good way?).

My nephews needed to be home for school tomorrow so we bailed on mid-day Monday for Moab. They'd quite enjoyed slogging through the mud (I HATE MUD) in my JKU and kept asking me how it compared to "rock crawling". I took them up the first few hills of Hells Revenge Monday night, then ran them up Long Canyon to Dead Horse point today. They wanted to try to drive dirt all the way to Green River. (while that can be done, I wasn't up for it and thought we should just get home)

Observations from the trip:
1) glad I brought a lot of wet weather gear----hated using it ALL the time---Sundays storms were incredibly impressive. The afternoon storm lasted about 40 minutes and the hillside we were on was literally awash with about 1/4" of water. My tent stayed dry somehow.

2) Jeep has a true wheeler on it's hands with the JKU. It went everywhere I pointed it and some places I was a wee bit nervous about. It can rally a little, but really just was pretty sure footed and went where I pointed it unless the road was slick with mud and off-camber. "Drifting" was pretty common on Sunday as we tried to get around. I wouldn't exactly call it "nimble" but for it's size it's really maneuverable. Did I mention I HATE mud? I've spent about $35 at the car washes and still have about $10 to go to get the Jeep mud-free

3) The Abajos (most of my time was spent on Elk Ridge west of the Abajo mtns) are incredible. Just amazing that that oasis is in the middle of that desert. Pretty cool area. I'll be back for sure. I didn't get down to Arch Canyon and some of the other places that seemed interesting but I will.

4) Bears have always made me a bit nervous but now I'm even more wary about "bear-proofing" camp. Well worth your time...

I'll post up some pics when I get back to my normal computer....

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Sounds like an awesome time aside from the weather and bears. A mother with cubs is always more to watch out for, if they feel threatened at all they are more likely to attack than a male. Are you going out on the general bull rifle season?

DAA

Sounds like a GREAT time! Thanks for reporting on it. That really is an awful neat area. I think I could spend the rest of my life wandering around there and be content.

Bears are cool :D. Saw a couple in the same area on Elk Ridge a month or two ago too. Personally, I'd never cap one just for wrecking my camp. Have had that happen twice while bowhunting, once on Diamond Mtn. and once in the La Sals. The one on Diamond was middle of the day. Came back in from a morning hunt and camp was trashed, bear still there, chewing on a cooler lid. Just bluffed it out of there. I've actually had several bear encounters on the La Sal's, but the last one was about three years ago, came into camp in the middle of the night and woke my dog up, who woke me up. Got a light on it and pointed my magnum his way, did some yelling, tried to sick my dog on him (dog wasn't leaving the tent for anything :rofl:), he just kept hanging around the edges and wouldn't leave. Finally got tired of it and went back to bed with my magnum by my side. Figured if as long as he didn't try to get in the tent with me, the hell with it, and if he did try to get in the tent with me, I would have to put some holes in him. Really surprised how quickly I got back to sleep, even more surprised with how little damage was actually done to camp in the morning.

- DAA

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just got some photos of the elk that was brought home last night. Pretty stinking respectable in my eyes. I'm sure there are bigger ones down there, but for my dad, this is awesome. (Frankly, I don't think anyone would be ashamed of this dude but what do I know :D) Not the biggest 5ths, but from what I'm hearing, some of the other branches are going to make up for it?

Attachments

• Dads2013elk.jpg
    Dads2013elk.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Dads2013elk-2 (Small).jpg
    Dads2013elk-2 (Small).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 32