San Rafael expedition, Feb. 20-22

TimB

Homesick
Saddle horse canyon is in the Sids Mountain WSA - so it is closed. You can get pretty close to either end though. Do you know exactly where you want to get to?

00WJ

Saddle horse canyon is in the Sids Mountain WSA - so it is closed. You can get pretty close to either end though. Do you know exactly where you want to get to?

I Don't. I haven't been in that area for 25 years or so, since I was 10 or 12 years old. I need to talk to my dad and find out exactly where it is and I will try to get a Google earth picture to see if I can get some more information.

I talked to my Dad. He said it is back in the Mexican seep area, Looking on the map they call that cane wash, (Dad always called it saddle horse wash) but he said it was by Mexican seep so I believe this is it.
GPS Coordinates

N 38.99677
W110.74197

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
So the half-track on Temple Mountain is gone? It was there last year?? I wonder who would go through the effort to move that? I highly, highly doubt the BLM was behind it. My guess is a private party wanted the parts? I actually know a guy that told me he was going to get it. Hope this isn't the case :-\

I do not remember a half track when Paul and I were there last July..

100_1796.jpg

Last edited:

TimB

Homesick
Cane wash is open. It's cherry stemmed I think. You can get to I 70 from there, or to the west over fix-it pass. It's a great drive - I enjoyed it a lot.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I do not remember a half track when Paul and I were there last July..

I'm 95% sure Corey told me he spotted it just last weekend. Unless your looking directly for it up on the mountain, it would be pretty easy to miss.

Can anyone clarify its there or not? Corey?

Cane wash is open. It's cherry stemmed I think. You can get to I 70 from there, or to the west over fix-it pass. It's a great drive - I enjoyed it a lot.

Cane Wash is not in the Wilderness Study Area for the most part. The southern portion from Fix-It Pass to Calf Mesa is open and outside the boundary of the WSA. The northern section from Calf Mesa north towards the SR River is closed at the intersection with the route that heads east back towards the main Buckhorn Road and Bottleneck Peak. There is an old road on top of Calf Mesa, all the way from the mines on the southern tip across the mesa where it tied into the road via an old cut down to Cane Wash, this however is closed and is right near or in the boundary of the WSA.

TimB

Homesick
I just looked at my map - the cherry stemed road is north of Cane and not related.

Where was the half track? I found one down on Boulder, but I don't remember one in the desert.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I just looked at my map - the cherry stemed road is north of Cane and not related.

Where was the half track? I found one down on Boulder, but I don't remember one in the desert.

Its on the NE side of Temple Mountain, ~1/2 way up the hill if your doing the trail that loops around the mountain. Where is the Boulder one you are referring to (PM me if you wish). There is another on the Nokai Dome Road, just south of the main HITR Trail route.

PS, check your PM, I finally remembered to get you that digital SR Swell Travel Map ;)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Well, we certainly were not looking for a half track since this is the first that i've heard of one in the area.. :)