San Rafael Swell Nov 09

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Funny, I've been cooking over the fire and in the coals with my aluminum pie machines for years.....they still are here.

LBB is a good time. I was hoping to get to Upper this year but never had the time.

What was the CFM in there when you did it? that can totally change how much fun or work it is.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It was low, we did it in September of 08. I want to say 25 cfm or so.

It was a lot of knee deep wading and probing for rocks, but some long float sections and some really fun scrambling were mixed in.

I want to hit Upper and the Chute of Muddy Creek sometime soon. I also had planned to do Neon canyon, but reports before we left for that trip indicated that the big keeper pothole was deep and almost impossible to escape so we opted out.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
DSC_1508.jpg

Sitting atop a cliffs edge last Sunday, overlooking the San Rafael Swell accompanied by the sound and smell of bacon bathing in hot grease over an open fire.. It doesn't get much better than this..

I present to you, bacon wrapped sauteed mushrooms.. Skillet style over open fire..

pieironskillet.jpg

pieironbaconwrappedmushrooms.jpg

Corban_White

No wonder some of you are having success with the Al pie irons! You don't even have a fire! Al doesn't last one minute in any fire I've ever built. I'm surprised you can even cook on that slightly warmed dirt! ;);):D

pieironskillet.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
No wonder some of you are having success with the Al pie irons! You don't even have a fire! Al doesn't last one minute in any fire I've ever built. I'm surprised you can even cook on that slightly warmed dirt! ;);):D...

See its a double edged sword. Too hot and the AL melts, too small and the AL can't retain the heat for cooking :D

That was a 'lunch fire', simple quick. Ashes blew away and you'd have never known we were there :cool:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Let's take a quick step back to reality here on the pie iron front.

Can we get a raise of hands for people that regularly use a 1600* temperature for cooking? I hardly consider a 1600 degree coal emersion the best practice to cooking anything in cast-anything. Do you set a dutch oven or a pie iron in coals deep in a fire that is 1600 degrees? What earthly food would cook well or efficiently at that temperature? Coal?

Realistically, you'd scorch the shit out of any food you put in temperatures that hot--even if you could get close enough with the 30" handle to put the thing in there.

I understand reality is a cruel mistress, but just because something CAN withstand an extra 800 degrees, doesn't make it any better suited for an application that, when used practically and for it's intended purpose, will never get anywhere near those temperatures.

So, in all practical application the aluminum is every bit as functional as cast iron....only mine will never rust or need seasoning ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
lol, I couldn't care less to be honest. I like my aluminum iron perfectly well, I just feel it's unfairly discriminated against with faulty claims and logic. It didn't ask for this persecution, the insecure cast-iron owners are the ones that brought it up ;)

Besides. Wet cloth + alumi-iron = clean cooker.

BLACKGOLD

It was great to meet some of you I hadn't before...had a great time. Can't wait for the next trip.

I see the Pie Iron debate rages on...I fear the day when this escalates to violence. lol.

Brian...there can be no debate about the Sweater you wear on the inside...simply put it is greatness through and through.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Scott (odyseuss) wins the sweater award. He put down more in one night then I have the last 32 years of my life.