san rafael swell

Hello,

I am located in Phoenix and I want to explore the swell for the first
time along with some friends ...
The vehicles will range from TJ w/35" tires, 4.56 and locked to
a stock TJ and stock JK Unlimited ..... and maybe towing some
M101(CND) type trailers with RTT on them .... tent camping too ....

We plan on spending a least 4 nights ...
Assuming the worst case that we will never get back to the swell again ...
I would like some recommendations for the must see/do sites and trails ..

Any info and advice will be appreciated .....

Best regards,

Mike

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are into mining history, south of I70 around Temple Mountain will have a lot to see and do. You should be able to find some good threads on www.expeditionutah.com or PM Kurt, aka Cruiseroutfitter her on RME. North of I70 will have more Cowboy and Indain History. If you PM me your address, I will send you a San Rafael travel map.

The most technical trails you will find in the swell will be the Devils Racetrack and Eva Conover Road.

When are you planning on coming? I will take you out on a weekend if im free.
We should be coming out of the Maze on 29-Oct .... 30-Oct would start
the Swell ..... Tentative is to start from Goblin State Park, but that
may change if it is not efficent for fuel consumption ...

And you welcome to join us ....

Mike

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Come out of the Maze via Poison Springs, gas up in Hanksville and then head into the Swell via Factory Butte, about the most efficient way there is. Or, if your set on coming out of the Maze at Hans Flat, buzz down to Hanksville and fuel up and check out Factory Butte. ExpeditionUtah has countless Swell trip reports and planning threads, pretty much exactly why it was created, that and to prevent PM's ;)

Come out of the Maze via Poison Springs, gas up in Hanksville and then head into the Swell via Factory Butte, about the most efficient way there is. Or, if your set on coming out of the Maze at Hans Flat, buzz down to Hanksville and fuel up and check out Factory Butte. ExpeditionUtah has countless Swell trip reports and planning threads, pretty much exactly why it was created, that and to prevent PM's ;)
Thanks for the information ...

sunshine

No Whiners!
We should be coming out of the Maze on 29-Oct .... 30-Oct would start
the Swell ..... Tentative is to start from Goblin State Park, but that
may change if it is not efficent for fuel consumption ...

And you welcome to join us ....

Mike

Sounds good, my family love it out there, there will be 3 jeeps with us. Keep in touch.

lhracing

All is welcome when I go :) as long as there is no drinking and driving or crap like that

I am way too old for that to happen, the only drinking that may be done is after camp is setup. As the date gets closer and meeting places established I will let you know if I can make it for sure. I have not been in the southern part of the swell but would like to see it. Thanks Lane

sunshine

No Whiners!
I am way too old for that to happen, the only drinking that may be done is after camp is setup. As the date gets closer and meeting places established I will let you know if I can make it for sure. I have not been in the southern part of the swell but would like to see it. Thanks Lane

I have done the Devils Race Track a few times and drove some dirt roads, but it will be fun. Any questions you can call 801-372-5505:

lhracing

I have done the Devils Race Track a few times and drove some dirt roads, but it will be fun. Any questions you can call 801-372-5505:

The last time that I was in the swell was over 25 years ago. We would go in through Oil Well Flats, down Fix-it-pass (at that time we called it pucker pass) and out the racetrack. Most of the trail was difficult to find so we spent a lot of time looking for the trail.

Rough idea of the trip:

30-Oct ... Day 1
First day travel from home or Maze; stay in Hanksville (flush toilets and hot showers). Fuel up and get any additional supplies;
or camp at Goblin State park.

31-Oct ... Day 2
Leave Goblin state park( meeting spot) and travel up wash to Temple Mountain, explore mine ruins.
From mines to Little Wild Horse slot canyons for easy hike, from Little Horse slot canyons to Hidden Splendor mine for day 2 camp.

01-Nov ... Day 3
Loop to Lucky Strike mine through Rod's Valley, to Swasey Cabin, to Ghost Rock for day 3 camp.

02-Nov ... Day 4
Go under I - 70 to Locomotive Point up the Devils RaceTrack and through Fix It Pass and Cane Wash over the swing bridge and up to MK Testing Tunnels, back down and up Black Box Cannyon to Black Dragon art panels. Camp here or leave for home or hotel in Green river.

All ideas and comments are welcomed ... I'll have some additional questions soon ....

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There's not much left of the MK Tunnels, they have been 'reclaimed' for your safety... :rolleyes:

Are there flush toilets and showers at Goblin Valley? I've never stayed there, but I didn't think there were?

jaroot

There's not much left of the MK Tunnels, they have been 'reclaimed' for your safety... :rolleyes:

Are there flush toilets and showers at Goblin Valley? I've never stayed there, but I didn't think there were?

There are flushes and showers at the state park.... If they are working. Stayed there this spring and they were having water problems so they were shut down but there are out house type toilets ate the visitors center at the Valley it's self.