sand hollow state park

dbach

planning on going to sand hollow this fall for wheeling and camping . never camped there so I was wondering what the best camp site is to reserve . I will need electric and water for my tent trailer.what is the weather like there late October ? any help will be appreciated

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Not to piggy back.. but..

We will also be doing a trip.. I was wondering what the water temperature is like in late March..

blznnp

I don't know if it has a name, but we just camped down there and reserved some spots, they were great but not for tents, at least the ones we had. Had a four bathroom/shower stall building. Whatever one was inside the actually park. there is also a open area that you can camp where ever you want. we actually moved to the open area since we had tents. but ate over at the reserved area due to the bugs. I can ask the guy that reserved it all if you want. I wouldn't imagine though that there are to many options in the park.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
You can check the water temp on the park website. The bugs are insane right now. Might not be so bad when cooler.
late October should be nice.

The sites with electric and power are set back for the water on top of the hill on the left when you enter. It's all primitive on the beach side of the resevior.

blznnp

You can get power for hook ups on the beach side, at least I thought I saw it, and water. It's a asphalt area that has a little sand and then a spot to park your trailer. That's where we reserved spots

when was that? Last time I tried staying there was 3 yrs ago and we they wouldn't let us due to having OHV's and I know someone as of January that was told the same thing. If you have an OHV you have to stay at the sandpit campground or on the beach. Sabdpit does have 4 power and water sites but you gotta reserve way in advance

flexyfool

GDW
I vaguely remember, last year, someone said no Jeeps & rock crawlers in the fancy area. Side-by-sides and sand rails were OK. Money speaks? A gentleman with a $150K sand rail is not going to camp in the unimproved section. LOL!

Last edited:

blznnp

I vaguely remember, last year, someone said no Jeeps & rock crawlers in the fancy area. Side-by-sides and sand rails were OK. Money speaks? A gentleman with a $150K sand rail is not going to camp in the unimproved section. LOL!

maybe thats what it is then, we stayed there June 19-21 (of this year). That doesn't make sense though that they wouldn't allow rock crawler there.

n1v3kt

So...water temps in march are gonna be chilly. October, same ball park...kinda depends on how late the summer runs. The website is good some of the time...just check the date, otherwise you can call in during business hours and they'll tell you. I usually go in june/july. It can vary from year to year. Water has been low the last few years so it's been warmer than normal, but when I went in may, it was chilly, but ok when the air temp was 90. As for OHV's, the sand and fun stuff is on the other side of a barbed wire fence (at least there used to be fence) from the south camping area. So...some people will set up camp...and park their trailer just on the other side of the fence from their campsite. I've never camped in there though so I don't know what the rules are, i've just seen folks do that. St. George is a wonderland of trails and such, even with all the expansion. I'd strongly recommend going to the end of river road and out into AZ, also go out to black rock road and there's some steep, fun trails taking you down to the Virgin River bank. Have fun down there! I'm jealous!