Sand Mountain: April 16, 2005

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
The Utah chapter of the TTORA (Tacoma Territory Off-Roaders Association) went to Sand Mountain for a beautiful day in the sun.

It was hot as hell out there, but the bluebird day on the dunes was worth it.

The day was uneventful for our group. A couple of our folks got crazy and did some jumping; no carnage to report.

Towards the end of the day, our chapter Pres. somehow heard that someone on a dirt bike was hurt in our area. The riders were within view of our position, so he headed over to see what he could do, and I followed shortly after.

Upon reaching the scene, one rider was laying on the ground (we found out that he broke his leg and hurt his back) and another was sitting on a quad with a bleeding hand. The group had first-aid under control, but we offered to haul their quad and bike back to the parking lot, and give the guy with the wounded hand and hurt wrist a ride. I hauled the bike, the Pres. hauled a quad, and another of our crew gave the quad rider a lift back to HQ.

Tacos to the rescue: http://www.ut-ttora.com/gallery/2005-04-16_Sand_Mountain/Image00031?full=1

The rider that was on the ground had to be extracted by a helicopter and taken to Salt Lake. His condition was not critical, but important enough that he not be moved without a stretcher for risk of further injuring him.

On a side note, it seemed pretty hard to get ahold of the park ranger. One guy had to go through a recording and menu on his satellite phone to get ahold of someone. Two guys that had stopped to help took off in their sand rail/car to get the ranger. The ranger was in route maybe 30+ minutes after my club responded.

The bike rider who broke his leg may have not even been alive if he hadn't been wearing his helmet and protective gear - a very important message to wear your brain bucket!

Other than that situation, it was a great day.

Here are my pictures:

http://www.ut-ttora.com/gallery/2005-04-16_Sand_Mountain

Last edited:

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
The rider that got hurt is one of my best friends. Jeff Hirst he's at LDS and is ok. had surgery on the busted femur and will have more to fix his hip when the swelling has gone down. Lucky he was wearing gear, coulda been his life.
He doesn't have insurance so any donations welcome. PM me.

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
i lied about him being ok. his condition has gotten worse. guess a blood clot moved from in his leg to his head. so i dunno. ill keep you updated best i can

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
BURB-STYLE said:
The rider that got hurt is one of my best friends. Jeff Hirst he's at LDS and is ok. had surgery on the busted femur and will have more to fix his hip when the swelling has gone down. Lucky he was wearing gear, coulda been his life.
He doesn't have insurance so any donations welcome. PM me.

As an ex-dirt biker (ex because a wreck changed my life) I wish him nothing but the best, but riding dirt bikes without insurance (no to mention a disability policy) is beyond stupid.

Sorry, but it is the truth.

:-\

embabe

My own epidemic!
BURB-STYLE said:
i lied about him being ok. his condition has gotten worse. guess a blood clot moved from in his leg to his head. so i dunno. ill keep you updated best i can

That IS pretty serious. :( Did he suffer an embolic stroke? How is he now? What is the current outlook on his situation? (just curious, sorry) :sick:

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
I went and seen him again last night. The embolism is small and they say it should just go away with time. His respiration rate went way down, cause his lungs are filling with fluid from the pain meds so they had to take him off of all of them. A busted hip, shattered pelvis, broken femur, 6 cracked vertabrae, ruptured liver, bruised lungs all with no pain meds, F#$@ THAT! they have him straped to keep him from freaking out.
He just bought the 97 cr500 and hadn't bought the insurance, he has it on his 250 which was with him but wasn't riding that one. Sh!ttY.
The doctors say he will be fine, in time. He'll be in a bed for at least 6 weeks. They also say he shouldn't even remember this week, thank god.

V-DAWG

someday
chevtech said:
As an ex-dirt biker (ex because a wreck changed my life) I wish him nothing but the best, but riding dirt bikes without insurance (no to mention a disability policy) is beyond stupid.

Sorry, but it is the truth.

:-\

You are talking to the majority of the people on this forum with their 4x4's.

maintain

The Rattle Monster!
where-du-hay is sand mtn???

Sorry to hear about the injury... my thoughts and prayers are with him! :-\

PS. Where is sand mtn? :eek:

Jate

Speed beats up Sparky.
V-DAWG said:
You are talking to the majority of the people on this forum with their 4x4's.

That is scary/idiotic! That guy is going to be paying medical bills for a very, very long time. Just the helicopter ride will cost him serious $$$. If you can't afford insurance you should not own the toy.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
BURB-STYLE said:

******, I'm sorry. That's really unfortunate. I wish him the best of luck in getting through this quickly.