Sas T100

2BACJ

SS
Would a solid axle kit from All Pro or AOR, which are for 86 to 95 4runners and Pickups, work on a 97 T100 with a little modifying? I wanted to buy a nice CJ that is already offroad capable, and dump on a couple of other mods, but my dad wants to get a Superduty truck, and he wants to practicaley give me his T100. I'd have to make monthly payments, but it is a heck of a deal for a 17,000 dollar truck. What would you do? Go with the CJ which would be a very good wheeler for less $, or take up my dad, and have an IFS truck, that would take more money to modify? I'm not into hardcore rockcrawling, but I do enjoy difficult trails. Would a IFS lift, rear locker, 33" MTs, 4.88s, and spare parts do pretty good down at moab and other local trails, or would you go all out, take it to a shop, dump probably 5000 grand for a solid axle swap, find some Fullsize axles, and go from that? And, the front CV joints on IFS, how strong are they? If I swap on 33" tires and am out wheelin rocky, off camber terrain, are the joints going to be blowing up left and right? Sorry about all the questions. Honestly, if I were to get the T100, I doubt that I could ever be able to afford a Solid Axle Swap,(Unless Skyetone would do it for free:D ), so I'd have to do all my wheelin IFS. All the suggestions, advice, and info would be very appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would do the solid axle swap. The GM front ends are the perfect
track width for T100s. I'll do it for you for 3500.00

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
First off Gas-grass-or ass nobody rides for free.:p
You would be happy with the T-100 more so than the jeep (maybee I'm bias though :D) One you have a bed two the wheelbase is much nicer and the plush ride is nice too. Very few of us get a cushy ride. Whats he asking basically price wise if I may ask? What are the good and bad points on the truck?
Here are some options as far as the T-100
Can't seem to find a price on a lift kit for t-100 Guess 2k installed.
My neighbor has a 4inch lifted t-100 and it has 33at's and looks sharp!! He won't go play with us though :D I wheeled IFS for years. 86 and 35's. Just a body lift and tortions. I only broke one trip. I took out a CV shaft and a short side axle. Lots play with IFS. It is a decent system overall. I'd give it a 7 on the skyetone braking scale. A birf is about a 5. If you aren't concerned about alignment, flex, big tires, Following guys like me on the trail, , then go t-100.
Flip side.
Get at least a dana 44 - hub to hub..... under 500$
x-over steering to dana 500$ done right.
springs are negotiable depending on what you want. say 500-700 for springs that are aftermarket. say sky's or all-pro or such.
front driveline say 250$ again done right. throw in another 500 in miss junk that would be needed.
for say 2250 in parts you have one badassified truck. don't really know what it would cost in labor. call beaches off road. or maybee jeremy would do it. Maybee his price is parts too? I'd be game but won't have a shop soon. Keep us informed. If you live anywhere by RMR then maybee swing buy and look at my neighbors ride or search over BB's like pirate. or sierra

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thats a tough chioce, but I personally lean more towards the additude of "If I'm wheelin it, I'm not backing out." My point is that I don't want to get into a hairy spot where damage a possibility, and have to back out to save my rig. Driving skill pays a important part in this, but I would have to say get something you can wheel HARD, if you want to wheel hard. The T100 would be a cush ride, but once the SAS was done, would it be what you want? Do you want to make a monthly payment on your wheelin ride? Something else to consider is selling the T100 in the future. Tha value of that truck will drop so much once the SAS is done, reselling it would be nearly impossiable, it if you decided it wasn't what you wanted.

I guess to sum it up, get what you want for what you'll be doing. Not, make what you have kinda work for what you want to do. But, how do I know exactally what you want to do?????

Good luck!!
:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I kinda have to disagree with greg. we as modifyers or customisers put ourselves in what I call a select market for resale.
I cut my roof off my truck. To jo-blow that is unapealing. To the select market it would be a bonus. Just think about the longrun as far as if you think you would resale and if so how much? would the mod inprove or decrease resale. then deside. I won't resale ever. I don't care :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I see what your saying and I do agree, to a point. I have no problem with welding and hacking crap on my truck. The truck you cut the top on, wasn't a $17,000 truck though, like this T100 is. The 'select market' that these things appeal to, usually won't want to go get a loan for nearly $20,000 to get a highly modified vehicle. Thats where the trouble comes in. Also, if 2BACJ wants something he can use for hardcore wheelin, I doubt the T100 will fill that need, and I see it. But I guess it depends on your view of hardcore wheelin.

2BACJ

SS
Well, I really am not concerned about ride. My 82 isn't exactly a good ride, but I don't mind it. I'm talking about an every day vehicle, that is trail capable. It doesn't mean that the thing is going to ride well, I just want "streetable" yet capable. I'm not talking about wheelin Upper and lower Helldorado or Rubicon type trails, I'm talking about challenging, not extreme, trails like poison spider mesa and american fork canyon type trails. I'd like to do a lot this spring in moab with my own vehicle this year. Went with one of my buddies last year, he's got a 79 TLC with a 350, NV4000, Dana300, 4.88s, TRD elec. lockers, and 33" MTRs. It was such a sweet ride.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well go price out a lift kit for a T-100. IFS parts are easy to find, but I think it may be wider than normal. IFS hold up fairly well 75% of the time. Alignment is always a prob. Oh and the pass side steering arm relay. Went through several of those.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
No problem on the info....Just search. Look at my post times. Didn't take long.
Hey jeremy thats a good price. What do you figre in labor time on that. Most SAS are 15-20 HRS labor.out the door.

Box Rocket

bored
I guess I'll chime in and give my biased opinion. I say go with the T100. Fir the type of wheeling you're describing that you want to do with it, the toyota will work fine and I'm not a big jeep guy anyway. (I don't have a problem with them, I just prefer Toyotas as my own trucks). If I were building a T100 (which I've thought about doing), I'd definitely do a SAS and possibly use a Dana 44 or larger front axle. But I think what my first choice would be is to find a frnt axle from an FZJ80 series Land Cruiser with a factory electric locker. You'd have to fab up some control arms unless you got them with the truck but you'd have a coil sprung front end with a sweet locker. You can get up to 4.88's for the diffs. Yeah, they have birfields but have you ever seen 80 series birfields? They're HUGE!!! I've wheeled with a lot of guys with 80 series cruisers and they run them HARD and I have yet to see an 80 series birfield break. Track width would be nearly perfect. Then I'd have AOR (or alcan) build you some custom rear leafs with the desired lift and ORbit eyes. Then get yourself an ARB in the rear diff. I'd also bob the bed. I think you'd end up with a killer truck that was great on the road and could hang with just about anyone on a ton of trails. You can also get a supercharger for the V6 that is in the truck. I think a T100 would make a sweet wheeling truck if done right, and I'm suprised I haven't seen more of them. Granted they are on the large side but Most of the trails in Moab and locally are open enough that you could fit it without a problem.

Of course, this is just my opinion, so take it or leave it.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Talk to Von at rocklogic, for me it would be about 2500 just for the lift/SAS aspect front and rear. then you will need more for new tires, and gearing in both axels. but talk to them and see what they can do for you.
www.rocklogic4x4.com

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Klif01
Talk to Von at rocklogic, for me it would be about 2500 just for the lift/SAS aspect front and rear. then you will need more for new tires, and gearing in both axels. but talk to them and see what they can do for you.
www.rocklogic4x4.com

Holy Grave Digger..... this one's been dead for a while....

But Rocklogic did have a sweet SAS T100 in their shop last week for some more cool mods. :D

Klif01

Do I bother you?
LOL, see what a bored teenager can come across. I didn't even realise how old it was, I was searching for somthing else and came across this.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Klif01
LOL, see what a bored teenager can come across. I didn't even realise how old it was, I was searching for somthing else and came across this.

No worries.... ya grave digger...:D ;) :p