satellite radio gurus...........

James K

NO, I'm always like this
if i buy a head unit that is sat ready, what does it eliminate? also my wife's new car is sat ready what do I need in order for her to have sat radio in her car?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I doesn't eliminate anything. You still need to purchase the tuner and possibly an adapter. The advantage is that you will be able to control it with your head unit and receive digital sound quality. The disadvantage is that you can't move it to your house or other cars. If you just want it for a car, going directly into your deck is the way to go.

If your wifes car is setup from the factory then you will need to figure out how to get the radio ID number (XM) or the SID number (sirius) and then call up whichever it is and activate it. For some reason I think the dealers have it set up so that if you want to use there system you have to pay them money to 'unlock' it or something stupid like that. You may want to ask the dealer....

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cody

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
personally I would go for the XM2Go. I am an MP3 person so I like the ipod style. But up here in the middle of nowhere oilfield the XM kicks ass and you can put it in the rig truck to drive out to an oil rig for your survey and then back into your office to listen to while doing your morning reports. If you are gonna get one, dont get the permanent install in your vehicle. You loose the digital sound quality but I can tailgate jamesgeologist home and listen to his XM.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I know the dealer said that her car was set up for sirius. Its a mazda 3. It has a sat button on it. I'll check on it more.

I am looking at a pioneer unit for my truck DEHP4700MP thats at circuit city that was in the sunday paper. it is sirius or xm ready, but would like to keep them all the same. so that I can also put it in the jeep when I feel like it.

does anyone know much about the above head unit?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
sure, what would you like to know?

If you wanted to do something portable so you can move it to the jeep, then you would be better off doing a sirius plug n play 3 and buying an aux input adapter for the pioneer. That way you can still retain about the same sound quality and be able to move it to your jeep or whatever. FM modulators--at least the wireless ones, suck balls for sound quality--especially in the city.

Cody

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Cody said:
sure, what would you like to know?

If you wanted to do something portable so you can move it to the jeep, then you would be better off doing a sirius plug n play 3 and buying an aux input adapter for the pioneer. That way you can still retain about the same sound quality and be able to move it to your jeep or whatever. FM modulators--at least the wireless ones, suck balls for sound quality--especially in the city.

Cody

don't you work at CC?
if so which one? I would like to come talk to you in person :D

Johnny4X4

mine

mine is sat ready, the way my pioneer does it, is the you buy the required adaptor and it hooks in thru aux port in the back. i was looking into it, but i use that port to hook up my laptop for the sound.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Johnny4X4 said:
mine is sat ready, the way my pioneer does it, is the you buy the required adaptor and it hooks in thru aux port in the back. i was looking into it, but i use that port to hook up my laptop for the sound.

Both the new Sirius tuner and the older pioneer XM tuner (gexp910xm) have IP Bus input and output so you can run the satellite radio and the aux input.

I work at the Ft. Union CC in Car Audio. I work till 9 tonight, till 4 tomorrow, and till 6 on thursday. After that you can call me on my cell phone but I won't answer cause I'll be in Moab. :D

Cody