SB 22 Passes the House

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
This bill passed with changes wrote by none other than USA-ALL with the help from a few on this forum! They took our changes and placed them where and how we wanted...nice.
This bill had already passed the Senate but because the House changed it it will go back for consideration of the changes... either way we win.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Wow. I just got a call from a both bill sponsors and UHP. With serious questions and concerns over the changes. They claim that all of us can already register our rigs as street legal and so there is no need for our changes. The senator is going to fight the changes and move to amend the bill back the way it was. Guys I have never got invovled with trying to register a highly modified rig...I need some input. From the conversation I just had I would say the bill will be amended as it was a few days ago and then revoted on and it will pass. I have a VERY narrow window to do anything to stop it or fix it. If you have anything to say or add you need to call me at 801-830-9112.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What is this bill?

My buggy couldn't be registered as street legal, not that I would really care to drive it around much. Sticky tires are expensive.

The idea was to allow 4x4 buggies registered as OHV's to get a street-legal exemption in rural counties where 'street-legal ATVs' are allowed based on the new law passed last year.

Mike, a 4x4 can be registered as a street legal vehicle. As you are aware, a full-size vehicle can also be registered as an OHV in the same way an ATV is registered as an OHV. Once registered as an OHV, it is no longer streetable. That was until the street legal ATV bill passed last year. This is where S22 reduces 4x4 access by removing 4x4 OHV buggies from the street legal ATV law which we supported over the last two years.

If someone wants a street legal 4x4, they have a route to do that by registering as a regular car. One benefit of the street legal ATV bill (as sold to 4x4 users) was to allow OHV buggies to apply for the same limited street legal status granted to ATVs and MCs. For crossing town to another trail head, connecting trails to make a loop, etc.

If S22 is going back to the original specs, it limits OHV 4x4 access so it should be killed as previously stated.

STAG

On my grind
Okay so I just read the revisions... Changed it from a max of 70" wide to 90", changed dry weight of 2,200 lbs max to 4,500 lbs max, changed max tire size from 27" to 48" etc...

So does this mean that vehicles registered streetable in rural counties, do not have to have mudflaps/lights/fenderflares/seatbelts, like regular vehicles would?

Just wondering, as I don't live in a rural county so this doesn't apply to me and I will still have to have my rig have all that stuff to be street-legal.

SportSawyer

... One benefit of the street legal ATV bill (as sold to 4x4 users) was to allow OHV buggies to apply for the same limited street legal status granted to ATVs and MCs.

The current code (from 2008 SB0181) and amendments (2009 SB0022) have nothing to do with motorcycles. Current code applies to Type I & Type II OHVs, and this doesn't include motorcycles. Dropping Type II for a newly defined "UTV" also doesn't include motorcycles.

The current code (from 2008 SB0181) and amendments (2009 SB0022) have nothing to do with motorcycles. Current code applies to Type I & Type II OHVs, and this doesn't include motorcycles. Dropping Type II for a newly defined "UTV" also doesn't include motorcycles.

This doesn't affect motorcycles. It affects 4x4 buggies registered as OHV's almost exclusively.

Bart

They claim that all of us can already register our rigs as street legal and so there is no need for our changes. The senator is going to fight the changes and move to amend the bill back the way it was. .

This is precisely why we need the changes. For the Type II 4x4s that can't be registered as street legal our only option is to register as an OHV. This bill, if passed the way it left the house, would allow us to add the necessary items to our buggies and be legal to drive through a town to a trail. Why exclude a class of vehicle? It would also allow us to do trails like Hole in the Rock.