School me on 35 spline

pkrfctr

Front axle is a Frankenstein- Front axle – ’03 ford f-350 superduty srw, long side shortened 1”, short side lengthened 3.125”, diff moved center 2.125”, axle wider 2.125”, inners 35 spline, 30 spline outer, short side 78-79 ford f-350, long side 88-98 ford f-350.
I have broken 2 stock stub shafts on the long side (stock hubs) and 1 chromo stub (warn premium hub). Thinking its time to go to 35 spline. So looking for input on what parts to use and any surprises. I do run 60 tooth tone rings so the computer is happy. Its a must to keep those, I cant stand dash CEL lights on.
What breaks next once I switch to 35 spline???? :)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
You'll need 35 spline outers and either hubs or flanges. Upgrade the u joints and go flanges if your worried about breakage. Then you'll start breaking inners, but unlikely

pkrfctr

You'll need 35 spline outers and either hubs or flanges. Upgrade the u joints and go flanges if your worried about breakage. Then you'll start breaking inners, but unlikely
I'm fine breaking hubs and would prefer that but I've yet to lose a hub without losing a stub. Ujoint is a Spicer spl55

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I ran 35 spline outers, Warn hubs, 4130 shafts and Spicer 1350 joints with HEAVY 40's, a V8, Atlas in my old TJ and didn't have any issues with breakage... and did plenty of front digs and stupid on-the-throttle driving. 😁

I think once you upgrade to 4130 35 spline shafts and a decent u-joint, it will take some real trying to find the next weak link.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I run 35 spline 4130 Yukon inners and outers and broke a 35 spline warm premium hub before breaking a spicer u-joint... Swapped to Teraflex flanges and haven't had issue since. Thinking of having branik machine my axle shafts to turn tighter and then I'd definitely swap to a higher strength u-joint.

Branik just machines an OEM unit bearing so pressing on the tone ring should be GTG

Last edited: