School Me On Bikes

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So I haven't been on a bike in some time and it's time to start spinning again. I'm 6'4" and about 235lbs, I have an inseam of 36". What do I look for in a bike, my primary riding will be on the road but I would rather sit up right rather than bend way down and use the ram horn style handle bars. I would like to keep the cost under $500.00 because this bike will just be a stepping stone to another, or I may find that it sux.

In put on bikes? Do you like one brand over another? What to watch out for? Given my size, what size of a frame and wheels?

I need some help..

Thanks,

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'd say you're gonna be just fine with about a 20-21" frame, mt bike with road tires and a riser bar. The mt. bike rims/tires will hold up to your weight and the road tread will let you get around without the drag you'd get from knobbies. The riser bar puts the handlebars upright.... maybe you'll want a more upright stem, too.

Check w/Guthrie's downtown if you can, or even the one on..21st? I know the one downtown at least has a knowledgeable staff of bike freaks. DON"T LET THEM SELL YOU SOMETHING YOU DON"T NEED! LOL bike freaks tend to want you on hardcore race stuff.

Oh yeah, Bicycle Center is pretty good too, and probably has a wider selection near that price range.

OH YEAH-- I like Specialized and to a lesser degree, Trek, esp in that price range. My own personal stuff is $2-4500. :eek: yeah, I was single once.

--Tacoma
ex shop sponsored mt bike racerboy

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I worked in a bike shop for 12 years, I can steer you the right direction if you have questions. Fitting a bike is like fitting a shoe, make sure you get the right one or you will never be happy with it. from your description a 21" frame should be a good start, different companies measure bikes different, so it would be worth your time to test ride a few different bikes.

As far as what you get for your money. Bikes in the 250-500 range are good comfort / entry level / easy trail ride / cruise the neighborhood bikes. 500 - 1000 range get you some more performace / recreational bikes. Something that you can ride some of the tougher trails with, hit moab hard with, even get you started in racing if you wanted to. I would just ride a few different models and makes in your price rance and see what seems to fit the best and have any features you like more than others.

As far as brands go. There are lots of companies that all compete for value. So you will see many similar features maybe some slight variations, but most of them will be faily comparible. I would look at the big name brands in that price they seem to have the best for the money. We sold lots of Specialized, I would look at those first. Also check out Trek for sure, they are always competitive on value. Gary Fisher (made by Trek) is another one. Schwinn has a pretty strong name again. That will get you started at least.

Also look for some of the last year models. New models prices the dealers hold their price on pretty close, last years often will go for much less and often are basically the same bike. If you have any questions post them up, or PM for a phone number I can always talk bikes.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
hey that's a good point: last year's model... I forgot about that. We bought my wife's Stumpjumper like that, got a $900 bike for I think a little over $700.

Also true about measurements. Specialized's bikes used to be a bit longer than other companies' offerings in the same size, which is what I liked about them back in the day. At your price point, components are going to be similar so fit is going to be the difference. A badly-fitting bike is gonna suck, so take your time on that part. Good shops will take the time to get it right.

UT is a good place to be a bike rider, road, city, or MT.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Shawn said:
So I haven't been on a bike in some time and it's time to start spinning again. I'm 6'4" and about 235lbs, I have an inseam of 36". What do I look for in a bike, my primary riding will be on the road but I would rather sit up right rather than bend way down and use the ram horn style handle bars. I would like to keep the cost under $500.00 because this bike will just be a stepping stone to another, or I may find that it sux.

In put on bikes? Do you like one brand over another? What to watch out for? Given my size, what size of a frame and wheels?

I need some help..

Thanks,

The wife and I just bought one of these and we have been having a great time on it:

Attachments

• t900.jpg
    t900.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 4

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
bigchev79 said:
2 wheels and a motor workes fine and saves energy
Ya yes, but I need to stay in shape and the family loves to ride bikes, and AVT's... and the Cruiser... and... oh my, there are so many things....

ps,

I bought two bikes last night at REI, the cannondale for me was 1/2 price due to last years model..... :D

Thanks for all your guys advise and help.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ooooohhhh yeah! Thanks for supporting SUWA and helping kill your local bike shops!!!

Heheheh. JUST KIDDING! sheesh. Enjoy your bikes!