School me on gears and gear ratios

Kramnden

I need some help understanding gear ratios, how to find them, and what kind of gears would be good for me. I have the Chrystler 8.25 rear and Dana 30 front.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Well to find them there is sometimes a tag on the diff. Right at tube level. But if not count how many ring gear teeth and divide by how many pinion teeth. Then we need to know what tire size, driving, and drivetrain you have.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
if you go to richmond.com they have a gear calculator that can tell you what gear ratio you might want for what tire size you run if you want to try and keep your rpm's to the stock settings.

Kramnden

My current tire size is 235 (29ish) but I do have some 32s that I would throw on if I had the proper clearance:rolleyes: .

Engine: 4.0

Transmission: AW4

Transfercase: NP 231

Front Axle: Dana 30

Rear Axle: Chrystler 8.25

I will check for the tags on the diffs

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Engine: 4.0
Transmission: AW4
Transfercase: NP 231

My bet is that you are currently at 3.55.

In my experience with [4.0L, AW4] I have found the following works quite well:

31"/32" 3.73 which are sometimes easily obtained used from junkyards out of manual tranny equipped jeeps with a 4 cyl.
33" Tires: 4.10 to be a close match, or 4.56 for extra low & torque.
35" Tires: 4.56 seem to be a good match for 35"s... imo
37"/38" Tires: I run 5.13's with my 38's and couldn't be happier. Feels powerful and will run 65 mph + at decent rmps (yeah, this in a buggy w/ hydro steering. Don't ask me how I know it will go faster than 65... :eek:)

If you look for 3.73's out of manual tranny jeeps make SURE they are 3.73's. I pulled 3.07's out of my 97 xj w/manual tranny. I run 35's on it w/4.88's work awesome. I also have a 94 xj w/ 33's and the aw4 auto and I run 4.56's again, they work great. If you are going to be driving it on the street alot you may want to go with some higher gears (3.73, 4.10). As far as getting the proper clearance to run your 32's fender trimming works great! Alot of people will fit a set of stock Tj fender flares after trimming wheel wells to make it street legal again.