school me on network drives

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
So I'm kicking around the idea of getting a NAS (network attached storage) drive. I don't know much about them, but have been learning fast. I'm thinking of getting this one http://go.iomega.com/section?secid=40639#tabs

the dell.com store has the 1TB model for $140 shipped. What do you think?

I mainly want it to hold photos and videos, the media server function would be sweet to start building a digital media library and stream to the PS3. Plus I could use it to back up the PC and mac.

For those of you who know, how good would streaming to my PS3 work out? I have the PS3 connected wifi to a linkysis WRT54G router which would have the network drive connected to it.

opinions please...

Caleb

I have this one with 2TB total storage (1.5TB usable because it's in a Raid 5). I stream all my videos over my network to my AppleTVs. One AppleTV is wired and one is wireless because I haven't punched that line down yet, streaming works just fine. If your network is healthy, you should be able to stream without any issues. The thing to consider is say your movie is 1-4GB, you just need to be able to stream 1-4GB over your network in the length of the movie. Even a slow network should be able to transfer 4GB of data in 2 hours. My entire network is Cat 6 cabling and enterprise level gig switches, but even home stuff should be able to handle it all no problem. I love having the network storage, I'm planning on upgrading to 4 1.5TB drives in the very near future since my current storage is just about out (I'm up to about ~500 digital movies, but have about 700 more to rip :eek: ). The only time I ever get a disc out any more is if I'm watching a blue-ray.

Caleb

no wonder I have never meet you out wheeling... your always home burning movies... :rofl:
:rofl: Actually most of those (probably 80%) were done in a single weekend. It's nice having several powerful machines (I had four machines ripping those). I got a system down that I was able to load a queue up and it would stay busy all through the night, so it was literally probably 60 hrs of straight ripping on four machines.

...and you should know better by now, I only web wheel :p