School me on the Rubicon?!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm really thinking hard about signing up for the 2011 Marlin Crawler Roundup. I have not ever been to the Rubicon and I was just wondering if you guys could share some knowledge and recommendations? :D I'm normally not into crowds but this seems like a pretty cool event and a good excuse to make some new friends.

I would likely drive my (.....yeah... I'm serious :rolleyes:) Toyota there and hopefully back. What about the trail itself? Are the water crossings as deep as they look? Camping? Useful advise? Thanks

Andrew

Great trail, fantastic scenery. Good camping, as long as you don't want to be by yourself. The trail is pretty fun done over 2 or 3 days. I'd compare it to the Golden Spike in length and difficulty - maybe more bumpy roads. Most serious obstacles have bypasses. I've only been in August - water crossings were around a foot or so. I suspect they would be much deeper in the spring. I went in at Wentworth Springs and enjoyed that first part of the trail with some locals. I have friends who go in at Loon Lake.

ID Bronco

Everyone should do it at least once. I would like to go again! You will be in the woods the entire trail which I love. It is beautiful, not extreme unless you run little sluice and a few other spots. Bypasses are there. It was one of the funnest trips I have ever been on. If you want something more difficult and beautiful while there run the Barrett Jeep Trail. Your Yota would do great on it. It is really cool. Fordyce would be great too, but that is where the water gets deep.

Bart

I think driving there and back is very doable. That's how I did it in my 88 XJ, 4" of lift and 32" tires. Lockers and skid plates are your friends, and take any extra parts that are known for failure. It's not terribly difficult and I've known people that will do it in a day. I've only been in through Loon Lake at the end of Ice House Road.

We drove to Tahoe and spent the night, then hit the trail early the next morning. Filled up at the station on Ice House Road. Took an extra 5 gallons and although we didn't use it, we gave it to someone who did. We were on the trail 3 days and then stayed in Tahoe again before driving home. That's a nice leisurely pace.

Johnny4X4

I drove my jeep there and back a few years ago-- it was okay, long ride in a small space, but it was fun.

the rubicon trail itself is like most any trail you have driven, there is a hard line and an easier one. so you will make it through if you know what your rig is capable of.

i took along an extra 5 gal of gas-- (didnt use), alot of spare parts, (didnt use), and a good tool kit (used alot), and as stated before, i also ended up giving out a quart of oil, and a little gas to someone who was not preparred.

be smart when packing, be smart when wheeling, and you will have a good adventure to write about when you return. ;)

brikar

THE RUBICON TRAIL IS A TOP 5 TRAIL

We have run it 3 times, Wentworth Springs has some good stuff on it, as does the Loon Lake entrance. While you are there you might as well plan on running the thing both ways. It is far enough away you are crazy not to. Both ways are fun. The hard stuff ends or starts at the top of Cadillac Hill. My suggestion is to start at Loon Lake and drive to the top of Cadillac Hill take in the view turn around and do it again. Then go down Wentworth and turn around and go back up and out to Loon Lake. Plan on a long day at least a day each way but it is a lot of fun to take your time and do it in 3. There is a lot of breakage on the trail due to the constant flexing and banging along the rocks, so your group is always stopping making minor repairs on things. There are a lot of fun obstacles, the deal with the Rubicon is that it is constant. The water varies, but it is not too big of a deal. While out there look at other trails in the area, Barrett, Deer Valley, Fordyce, Hellhole, all worthwhile to do while you are there. Just as fun, just not as popular....Deer Valley is a stunning trail as far as scenic and to top it off there is enough rocks and water to make it an enjoyable afternoon....DON'T WAIT GO FOR IT

brikar

Get a few rigs together and go do it as an unorganized run. There is plenty of information about the trail. It is very easy to find and once on it you just follow the trail. There are rules you need to know so educate yourself whether you are going with an event or just with your buddies. We donate to the Friends of the Rubicon when we go...The thing about the Rubicon is that you will not be alone, you will see rigs on the trail everyday of the week through the summer....

EROK81?

Sell out
I've done it as well and will agree it was one of my favorite trips I've ever done. We were even fairly inexperienced and made it fine. I drove there and back in a 83 CJ7 and made it fine. We also did it in one day. I'd recommend doing it over a couple days though.