School me up on family cars under $35K

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Its time to get wifey a new car.

Currently she has a '99 Altima that she absolutely loves. It has had only one minor trip to the service department in the 10years we've had it...knock on wood.

Anyone know anything about the new Nissan Altimas? What about other makes/models. Maybe Honda Accord, Toyota Camry? She has looked at the "Big 3" and doesn't see anything she is really crazy over.

We went "shopping" last night and found an Altima that she loves, but it has black leather interior. Anyone have that in their car? How hot does it get in the summer?

We have time to shop around, we don't plan to buy anything for a month or two since I'm waiting on a nice commission check to see whether I need financing or not.

pennieslj

It is what it is.
I work in the car business. All three models you mentioned are good choices. The G8 that was mentioned and the new Chevy Malibu are a couple of the nicer domestics. I would tell you to drive each one that you are interested in and take a couple days to decide. Research the deals that are available and contact multiple dealers online.

Personally I would look at the Nissan Maxima(sporty family car) and the Subaru Legacy(great in the snow).

Caleb

We're getting my wife a new Lexus IS250 AWD in the next little bit. I like the AWD aspect and the quality of a Lexus tends to be a fair bit nicer than the standard big 3. If we don't end up with a Lexus (highly unlikely) then we will likely go with a Subaru Legacy.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
My wife has a 2005 Toyota Camry and it has given us ZERO problems. We are Toyota people and would love to score a 2009 Camry SE, I also really like the Avalon.

The Avalon really is a baby Lexus.

They are not the sportiest but have good looks, rock solid reliability and nice powertrains.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Thanks for the replies. I have some research to do. I'll take a look at the options. There are many good choices out there. It looks like our purchase might be a little delayed. My clients are dragging their feet a bit (understandably so), but that delays my payday.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We have a 2008 Altima with the black leather interior. Bought it last April. I love this car. I do not think it gets too hot in the summer. The climate control really cools it off fast. Our car is a 2.5 SL model. We consistently get 32 MPG and could get better if we ever stayed under 80. The 3.5 motor runs like a raped ape, but I am qite happy with the acceleration of our 4 cylinder. The CVT tranny has spoiled me to the point that I get annoyed when driving other cars with shift points. The 2.5 does not come with the real spoiler standard, but many people make the dealer put it on as part of the sale.

StrobeNGH

no user title
We went to the car show for this very reason:

The Mazda 6 is nice, as are its cousins the Mercury Mariner and Ford Fusion.

But for me, it's going to be a choice between the Dodge Challenger and Pontiac G8.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Hickey- Thanks for the reply. We are going to consider quite a few brands, but likely the 6 cyl. Altima will be the winner. My wife drove the 4 cyl then the 6 and said she didn't like the CVT, I said likely a learning curve. She did like the 6cyl very much. I couldn't go on the drive, it's her car so I sat in the dealer's office with the baby. Her number one concern was the black leather and summer. I figured if it was a problem they wouldn't keep making that option.

Now all I need is a payday!

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
No-Trax- I got burned REALLY bad on a used vehicle a little bit ago. I even bought it from a very large local dealership and it had a warranty. As it turned out the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I don't think I will ever buy another used one again--unless economic downturns force me to. I will gladly take the depreciation hit as I drive off then to go through the problems and financial loss I took on that POS. Thanks for the offer though!

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
No-Trax- I got burned REALLY bad on a used vehicle a little bit ago. I even bought it from a very large local dealership and it had a warranty. As it turned out the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I don't think I will ever buy another used one again--unless economic downturns force me to. I will gladly take the depreciation hit as I drive off then to go through the problems and financial loss I took on that POS. Thanks for the offer though!

I can tell you from personal expeiernce you better make sure your getting what you want, get it checked out and do your homework!

Altimas, Maximas, etc are AWESOME. That CVT stuff is weird... I would imagine that it has to be less wear and tear with it not needing to shift, but I dont know much about transmission mechanics :)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax

And I am guessing you used Elite Warranty our of Springville, THEY ARE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!