Scope bases for a rifle ???

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a Remington 700 that has Weaver mounts on it. (very old school Redfield 2x7 scope that could move to the top shelf in the gun cabinet) Anyway, after repeated adjustments, locktite, cussing, etc. I'm tired of dealing with that Weaver mount and shopping for new solutions.

Being that this is the basis for any/all accuracy, I don't know that I want to buy a piece of crap mount. The gun shoots WELL after I've adjusted it, but I have to adjust it EVERYTIME I go out.

I'm looking/liking the EGW stuff for the price point and picatinnay mounts. I might be fine just buying a new Weaver setup? Maybe I could drill/tap the current setup and upgrade the screw size?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Personally, I wouldn't trust myself with drilling and tapping something like that.

Eh, I've not got a lot to lose at this point. I ruin some Weaver scope mounts at worst.

Is it the scope moving?

Yeah. I get to sight it in everytime I take it out. I'm quite good at it now...

Kind of taking this as an "opportunity" to need a whole new optical system.

Looking pretty hard at a Nikon Monarch vs. a Leupould VX iii vs. ??? (got lucky with a 600 yard shot(s) yesterday with my AR-15. Now I want more of those :D but with the 30-06 going for 1000 yards)

DAA

Just wondering, if you've isolated the movement to either the scope or the mount? Could be a new scope will be fine in the old mount, maybe? Once the Weaver system gets some slop worn into it, they do tend to wander, so it could be the mount. But 90% of the scope "mounting" problems I have dealt with have turned out to be the scope itself and not the mount. I keep a couple of known good scopes on the shelf for no other purpose than having something I know is good to compare to.

I'm partial to two piece bases. It's usually more work than I want to dick with to get a good stress free mounting job with a one piece. For a garden variety 700, I like the Burris Signature dual dovetails. The two piece w/Sig inserts are the easiest, most brain dead simple way to get an optically centered, mechanically sound, 100% stress free scope mount I know of. They aren't very good looking, and not all that cheap either, but they do work exceptionally well.

- DAA

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just wondering, if you've isolated the movement to either the scope or the mount? Could be a new scope will be fine in the old mount, maybe? Once the Weaver system gets some slop worn into it, they do tend to wander, so it could be the mount. But 90% of the scope "mounting" problems I have dealt with have turned out to be the scope itself and not the mount. I keep a couple of known good scopes on the shelf for no other purpose than having something I know is good to compare to.

I'm partial to two piece bases. It's usually more work than I want to dick with to get a good stress free mounting job with a one piece. For a garden variety 700, I like the Burris Signature dual dovetails. The two piece w/Sig inserts are the easiest, most brain dead simple way to get an optically centered, mechanically sound, 100% stress free scope mount I know of. They aren't very good looking, and not all that cheap either, but they do work exceptionally well.

- DAA

The screws on the mount keep coming loose. It's an old Weaver mount. I thought some locktite would help, but that hasn't lasted as long as I like.

DAA

Not good...

New screws and red loctite first. Cheap and easy. If those come loose, you are correct, it's time for the oversize drill and tap. Most guys go to 8-40.

- DAA

mbryson

Supporting Member
Not good...

New screws and red loctite first. Cheap and easy. If those come loose, you are correct, it's time for the oversize drill and tap. Most guys go to 8-40.

- DAA

I'll stop by Gallenson's on my way home and see what they have for new screws. Thanks!