Seeking historic info on AFC - Mines, rec, etc.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hey guys

I'm seeking your help with a different project, any information you might have on American Fork Canyon, basically any old pictures or stories from the 1800's to the 1980's. Know of someone I should be talking to, please pass along their info and a brief summary of their involvement in the canyon.

I've mentioned this here on the forum before but I am slowly working on a book about the history of the canyon, specifically the mining history in the North Fork (above Tibble Fork) area. I've collected a wealth of info, USHS archives, BYU/UU.lkibrary archives, I've traveled up the canyon with the FS archaologist, private land owners, Snowbird, etc but I know there is more I should have before I jump in. Anything you might be able to dig up would be helpful. A few of you have had some stories to share, I'm sure there are far more. You can contact me here on RME or via email kurt at cruiseroutfitters dot com. Thanks for your help!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
This is kind of funny, coming from you. I think if any of us ever need info on this kind of stuff we go straight to you. :D Having said that, I have nothing relevant to add.

mombobuggy

My father in law is a wealth of info on A.F. canyon he grew up as a kid in A.F. and remembers when he rarely ran into anyone he did not know up there. He loves the canyon and I suspect he would be happy to talk to you about his times up there. I applaud your efforts to document the canyons historic landmarks as i am sure you know they are all being removed by the forest service. This confused me until I read somewhere that public land cannot be designated wilderness if it has historic landmarks on it. Call me paranoid but I fear for the future of my favorite canyon with regard to access. If you would like to meet the old guy let me know he is semi retired these days and loves to tell a good story.

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
Kurt,
When I was living in Moab, I wanted to find all the mines that contributed to it's boom. I found a lot of details about location and materials mined in the Utah Mineral Occurence Database by the Utah Geological Society. You can google it.
There are also some small books that were published about different mining districts. I found one for my Father that included the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, but I can't remember where I found it. I'll look and see if there is some additional information there.
Also, I would look at the local museum, to see if they have a collection that includes anything that might be of use. I found tons of information about Charlie Steen that way, including private photo collections. Those types of places do this sort of thing for a living. I was able to negotiate a deal where I could use their materials if I gave them copies of anything I uncovered.
Good Luck! This sort of thing is addicting. I had to move to California to stop. Now I'm looking into gold rush mining towns.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This is kind of funny, coming from you. I think if any of us ever need info on this kind of stuff we go straight to you. :D Having said that, I have nothing relevant to add.

I have a growing pile of info, but I know there is more to be found. :D

My father in law is a wealth of info on A.F. canyon he grew up as a kid in A.F. and remembers when he rarely ran into anyone he did not know up there. He loves the canyon and I suspect he would be happy to talk to you about his times up there. I applaud your efforts to document the canyons historic landmarks as i am sure you know they are all being removed by the forest service. This confused me until I read somewhere that public land cannot be designated wilderness if it has historic landmarks on it. Call me paranoid but I fear for the future of my favorite canyon with regard to access. If you would like to meet the old guy let me know he is semi retired these days and loves to tell a good story.

I would absolutely love to interview your FIL, would you mind sharing his contact info with me and let him know I may be calling?

Kurt,
When I was living in Moab, I wanted to find all the mines that contributed to it's boom. I found a lot of details about location and materials mined in the Utah Mineral Occurence Database by the Utah Geological Society. You can google it.
There are also some small books that were published about different mining districts. I found one for my Father that included the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, but I can't remember where I found it. I'll look and see if there is some additional information there.
Also, I would look at the local museum, to see if they have a collection that includes anything that might be of use. I found tons of information about Charlie Steen that way, including private photo collections. Those types of places do this sort of thing for a living. I was able to negotiate a deal where I could use their materials if I gave them copies of anything I uncovered.
Good Luck! This sort of thing is addicting. I had to move to California to stop. Now I'm looking into gold rush mining towns.

I have many of the vintage mining and geology reports, LC/BC, AFC, Park City, Moab, Swell, etc... I've amassed a pretty fair collection of them from all over the state. I have both the early (1920's) and later (1950's) AF Canyon geology reports. Fascinating info and a killer resource. I do need to check with the local museums in Utah County, great suggestion!