September 18th Clean Up at 5 Mile Pass

fastdrmr

We had a guest speaker (Dale Bartholomew) at our meeting last night that mentioned there is a planned clean up for next Saturday. Does anyone on this board have more information to share and pass along?

UXOC will be there and encourages other clubs to participate.

Thanks!

Robert

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I assume it is the BLM "Volunteers Across America" Clean-up, however this year I have heard ZERO about it... Thanks for bringing it to my attention... I will do some searching...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yup, BLM Cleanup
http://www.ut.blm.gov/NewsReleases/sept8.html

Salt Lake City, Utah—September 8, 2004—Nine volunteer projects will be hosted in Utah by the Bureau of Land Management in September. The projects will celebrate National Public Lands Day (NPLD), a nationwide volunteer effort to protect America’s natural resources.

Volunteer projects will happen in the following locations around the state:

Paiute ATV Trail/Great Western Trail September 13-17; in conjunction with the Rocky Mountain Jamboree (Richfield); Trail Head Construction, September 18 (Richfield);
Nine Mile Canyon (Price);
Ken’s Lake Recreation Area (Moab);
Westwater Canyon (Moab);
Dry Wash/Big Oaks ATV Trail Maintenance Project on September 18; Little Sahara Recreation Area (September 20, 2004, Fillmore)
Pariette Wetlands (Vernal); Nine Mile Canyon (Price);
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (Escalante);
Five Mile Pass OHV Area (Salt Lake); and,
Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail (Moab).

This year’s activities will focus on trail, route and boundary signing, camp and trail improvement/maintenance, constructing fences, stream bank restoration, constructing nesting platforms, trash cleanup, and most importantly educational workshops.

"National Public Lands Day provides Americans a chance to roll up their sleeves and give something back to the community," said Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM) director, Sally Wisely, "and getting people out onto these sites gives them an opportunity to appreciate their public land."

The Bureau of Land Management will sponsor more than 100 NPLD sites on public lands around the nation. Last year, nearly 80,000 volunteers and their community partners, numerous federal, state and local agencies contributed $10 million in improvements to America’s public places on National Public Lands Day.

The BLM, one of several federal agencies sponsoring events, is an agency of the U.S. Department of the Interior. It manages more land – 262 million surface acres – than any other Federal agency. The BLM accomplishes this by managing for resources such as outdoor recreation, livestock grazing, mineral development, and by conserving natural, historical, cultural and other resources on the public lands.

The National Environmental Education & Training Foundation (NEETF), chartered by Congress in 1990, focuses on environmental learning as a solution to critical challenges in natural resources management, education, health care and business. In its mission to support environmental education, NEETF initiates programs and public/private partnerships that will result in an environmentally knowledgeable public, environmentally competent professionals and environmentally capable leaders and policy-makers. For more information, including a list of National Public Lands Day sites, activities, and contacts, visit www.npld.com or call 800-VOL-TEER (800-865-8337).

fastdrmr

Just got off the phone with the BLM and I have an update. (I wish they would have made a better effort to contact large groups like this one and all of its "subsidiaries")

The event is this Saturday, NPLD as mentioned above - September 18. Our local area is 5 Mile Pass OHV and the main emphasis is Clean Up.

Event starts at 9am with a sign in sheet. Make sure to check in as they will be giving coupons for BLM/Park entrance fees. T-shirts will also be given out. Event will be done at noon.

There is no fee to participate, but they do ask to dress accordingly: long pants, long shirt, cap, work boots, gloves, and your own water and lunch. No food or water will be available - sorry.

The main task is Clean Up and while it is work it is also an effort to show our responsibility toward our priviledge to play out there. Please come with a positive attitude and get ready for a great time.

Hope to see alot of you out there. UXOC will be there to show our support! Any other clubs committed to help? Bring it on boys! Let the clean up begin! (...and girls! ;) )

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Jinx said:
do we need to extract any vehicles this year? :D Hope, hope,....

Just got off the phone with the BLM... I don't think they have any vehicle extractions.. mabey a TV or dryer... ;)

Be there at 9am, it will last a couple hours... and then wheeling! :D

Thanks!!!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
cruiseroutfit said:
Just got off the phone with the BLM... I don't think they have any vehicle extractions.. mabey a TV or dryer... ;)

Be there at 9am, it will last a couple hours... and then wheeling! :D

Thanks!!!

Sounds good, I am working things out to be there, but I will have to bail early.

I might bring my project too, its rolling. :D :D

fastdrmr

It is roughly at the southern base of the Oquirr Mountains.

Get off I-15 at the Lehi Roller Mills exit and go west. My guess is about 15 miles you will see the base of the mountains on the right hand side. Look for lots of vehicles and come ready to work.

Thanks!