Severe Weather or Economic Boost???

crzyjeep

So I had to rent a U-haul and drive my stuff out to Louisiana after graduation. Being the highly educated moron that I am, I didn't bother to check the weather forecast. Around 11:30 I pull into Rawlins to find that EB I-80 was closed due to severe weather!?!? My father-in-law and I decide to wait out the storm rather than get a room becuase it was so early and it wasn't snowing much if at all in Rawlins. Long story short the roads didn't open until about 8 pm and when we started driving them, their was no snow on them and almost no snow anywhere in sight. I think the road was closed to boost the economy in Rawlins and other towns. But maybe I am just upset about sitting in a Uhaul with limited miles and nowhere to go..-_--_-

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
So I had to rent a U-haul and drive my stuff out to Louisiana after graduation. Being the highly educated moron that I am, I didn't bother to check the weather forecast. Around 11:30 I pull into Rawlins to find that EB I-80 was closed due to severe weather!?!? My father-in-law and I decide to wait out the storm rather than get a room becuase it was so early and it wasn't snowing much if at all in Rawlins. Long story short the roads didn't open until about 8 pm and when we started driving them, their was no snow on them and almost no snow anywhere in sight. I think the road was closed to boost the economy in Rawlins and other towns. But maybe I am just upset about sitting in a Uhaul with limited miles and nowhere to go..-_--_-

Was it closed due to snow or just 'Severe Weather'? Because severe weather could means lots of things, like high winds.

crzyjeep

They said it was snow and wind, but we had wind most of the way there so you had to drive under the speed limit. When we left the sign boards said to drive no faster than 50 MPH, but NONE of the diesels were doing that.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I-80 gets closed for high winds between Elk Mountain and Laramie routinely. The kind of high winds that move sedans full lanes, and flop semi trailers on their sides. I-80 was closed more times this year than all of the last four years combined. IMHO it is likely the most dangerous stretch of highway west of the Mississippi.

Tacoma should feel free to disagree, cuz he's been on every road in America!! ;)

crzyjeep

Yeah the fuel was pretty much CRAP!!! I haven't totaled the bill yet but my estimation is close to $1200....:rolleyes: I was extremely happy about the snow storms just for me :eek: Got back down here to 80-90's with mild humidity :rofl:

FYI my sister-in-law just got engaged so I guess we're supposed to be flying back in September. Settebello??