Shackle length?

4Runner

So this weekend I'm wanting to make me some shackles on the rear of my 4runner and I wanted to do ten inch. Is that to long or what thanks donavon

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's long, but not unheard of. If it's what you need, it's what you need. If I remember right, the shackles on the rear of my 4runner were 8" center to center.

4Runner

How do you like your 8in? Mine are 5 1/2 but I am putting another leaf in the front and I already sag as it is so I'm deciding to level it out

sixstringsteve

mine are 4" and my buddy runs 12". You want your shackles to be the proper angle. To achieve the proper angle, you either move your shackle mount, or you lengthen/shoten your shackles until the angle is right.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
mine are 4" and my buddy runs 12". You want your shackles to be the proper angle. To achieve the proper angle, you either move your shackle mount, or you lengthen/shoten your shackles until the angle is right.

....along with taking into account how much lift you may or may not need, pinion angle, etc. ;)

My shackles were long for two reasons--I didn't want to move my shackle hangers to accomodate longer springs, and I had lower-lift springs in the rear compared to the front. So, longer shackles raised the height up to where I needed it, and were long enough to not make it necessary to move the hanger. I never had any complaints with them, other than they looked a little goofy being so long. Function over form though....

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I am just finishing a Chevy spring swap on my 4Runner and put on 10" shackles (eye to eye). I tried bolting them to the new rear spring mount (4" rear of factory) and the angle was too steep (~20 degrees). I then moved them back to the factory spring mount and now they sit at a perfect 45 degree angle. I do lose about 2" of lift, which gets me sitting just about level with the hard top off. It would be nice to have the extra 2" with those soft springs but I'd rather have the better shackle angle for more flex -- I'll be replacing the hard top for a canvas top here soon anyway. I raised the rear bumper as high as I could with my floor jack and a stack of 4x4's, but never could get the rear tire off the ground...:p

If you'd like, I have some very lightly used Trail Gear and Marlin 6" shackles (eye to eye) I would let go for cheap. I now also have a factory set of rear springs I need to get rid of in case you need some extra leafs...

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
mine are 4" and my buddy runs 12". You want your shackles to be the proper angle. To achieve the proper angle, you either move your shackle mount, or you lengthen/shorten your shackles until the angle is right.

I think Steve may be referring to me. I don't remember how long I made mine but I think they are either 10 or 12 inches. I made them long to get more lift out of my 63" chevy springs. I set the angle correct and haven't had a problem.

4Runner

I am using the 58in chevy springs I'm only on three or four that came out of that pack that came off of a 1999 suburban. My shackles angle is not the best it's a little steep. So what I'm getting from all this is the longer I make my shackle the better my angle is??clfrnaccwby I already bought the metal to make the shackles. Are your springs Toyota?

sixstringsteve

assuming you don't move your shackle mount, a longer shackle will make the angle closer to vertical. It will also change your pinion angle.

4Runner

So if I don't move the mount it will not improve my articulation?
Im sorry to have waisted your time Im not really shopping for the oe maybe if they where 63s

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
My bad, I thought you were asking about the springs I pulled off the truck. :rolleyes:

I did the 63" swap. They key is to get a good starting angle and that allows for quite a bit of down travel as they swing forward during articulation. If I mount these shackles using the rear upper spring mount you see, the angle is much steeper. Once I start to articulate, they would have inverted rather quickly. Here some pics. Kudos to Seth (Iamsparticus) @ Trail Ridge Offroad for fabing the new shackles:

IMG_0442.jpgIMG_0443.jpg