Shackle reversal on a samurai (sprung under)

Yesterday I installed my SR kit on my zuk, keeping it spring under axle. Why sua??? because I have to drive it a LOT every day.

FYI the SR kit just moves the shackles from the front end of the leaf springs, to the back end.

Instalation was a breeze, it was all bolts everywhere, no welding, no grinding, no drilling, just bolts.

First step was to install the new shackles on the rear end of the spring. These are inside/outside style shackles so that it would fit on the outside of the spring bushings, and the inside of the origonal spring hanger. I did have to widen the spring hanger and shackles a little, but nothing a BFH and a vice couldn't handle. (see first pic)

Second was to install the front brackets and truss. These brackets replaced the origonal shackles with a solid, non moving mount. Each side installed with four bolts, on in the spring, on in the origonal shackle mount, and two though hole in the frame (origonaly intendid for a push bar I believe). The truss attaches to the two lower bolts on each side, it was a tight fit, but again, a BFH did the job. (see second and third pics)

lastly I installed some lift shackles on the rear to even out the roughly 2 inches gained from installing the SR kit.

The bumper can be re-attached if you cut two notches in the bottom of it to accomidate the new brackets, but I will probably not be doing this.

I am going to be in moab this next week, so I should have plenty of pics of this setup in action. All I need now is a rear locker and I'll be set (untill I go all out with this thing, but thats not going to be for a while).

Last edited:

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Front brackets and truss:
(I added two white tabs to attach a two bar for any long trips, these may get revamped eventualy.)

Attachments

• sr3frontside.jpg
    sr3frontside.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 55

samizook

Looks good! I tried that setup at one time too. It's alot smoother than stock. Good to see you made some progress.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Yep, Its been a few months and I'm still lovin it. I have had zero problems with handling or steering. If anybody is thinking about this (for SUA anyways) I say go for it, you won't look back.

The only problem I have right now is that my shocks are too shot and limit flex. I just havn't taken the time to figure out what I need...