Sheared Steering

fire4j15

I have a problem here. Over the weekend while snow wheeling I clipped a rock and bounced off of it and it sheared my drop pitman arm and sector shaft right off my steering box. Needless to say it was pain. Everyone I talk to says I have to order a new steering box because they say the box on my 06' unlimited rubicon is a mercedes model. Is this true?? Is it possible to just replace the sector shaft or is it ruined??? Any suggestions??

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I don't see why your box wouldn't be any different then any box found on any other Tj or Xj.As to who manufactures the box I don't know off the top of my head.You can also look into getting a Dodge Durango which is slightly bigger and has the same bolt pattern.

Yes your box is most likely wasted.Not to say it can't be fixed but the cost of fixing it will be close to getting a remanufactured box.I tend to stay away from reman boxes since they tend to leak shortly after installing or start having play issues sooner then a new stock box.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
they say the box on my 06' unlimited rubicon is a mercedes model. Is this true??

I believe that the box change took place in 03, so I'd imagine parts from an 03+ should work for you. From what I've learned, the newer boxes are mercedes design.

ROCKRUNNER

The box you have I actually prefer it is more powerful and percise then the Saginaw style box. We have plenty of Saginaw sector shafts but no mercedes shafts. I would try to find a new box (Checker,Napa,Etc) you will have to modify the mounting bracket and frame if you switch to the saginaw box. The mounting holes are not the same. I can order you a box from the manufacturer a little cheaper then the auto parts store if your interested.

fire4j15

The box you have I actually prefer it is more powerful and percise then the Saginaw style box. We have plenty of Saginaw sector shafts but no mercedes shafts. I would try to find a new box (Checker,Napa,Etc) you will have to modify the mounting bracket and frame if you switch to the saginaw box. The mounting holes are not the same. I can order you a box from the manufacturer a little cheaper then the auto parts store if your interested.

How about a AGR Super Box 2??? Been looking at that one. Anyone here have experience with AGR boxes?? Thanks

fire4j15

Anyone here ever worked on a 06' steering box?? Just checked with the dealer and they want a little over 700 bucks for one. I think I will buy a ram assist instead for $950. But if anyone has experience with one chime in. Thanks

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Anyone here ever worked on a 06' steering box?? Just checked with the dealer and they want a little over 700 bucks for one. I think I will buy a ram assist instead for $950. But if anyone has experience with one chime in. Thanks

I'm confused :confused:
With Ram assist, you still need a steering box...

If it were me, I'd buy the new one off of the e-bay link I posted ($300) and then if you still want ram assist, send that box up to Rocklogic to be ported. I don't know what they would charge you to do that, but the rest of the components you'd need for ram assist (cylinder, mounts, lines, etc) are priced very well. Something like $250

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm confused :confused:
With Ram assist, you still need a steering box...

If it were me, I'd buy the new one off of the e-bay link I posted ($300) and then if you still want ram assist, send that box up to Rocklogic to be ported. I don't know what they would charge you to do that, but the rest of the components you'd need for ram assist (cylinder, mounts, lines, etc) are priced very well. Something like $250

....and I'm sure I could let you have that PSC one I have (for a late TJ) for less than $300.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Thanks spaggyroe, Those are awesome prices. I think I will buy one instead of the 1,000 dollar ram assist.

No problem. Ram assist is nice, and can be had for much, MUCH less than a grand. :eek: Get ahold of Seth @ Rocklogic.

edit - check out bryson's post above dude.!

Last edited:

pkrfctr

I had the same thing happen on my 03 back in 04. I had no other option but to get it from the dealer. I feel your pain. I also had the box rip off the frame later. so I now run a steering box brace and a skid. It's crazy that you can't just replace the shaft, its really easy to do. but nobody makes or sells just a shaft. good luck. I would check some of the local junk yards for wrecks too.