Shed Building

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am getting ready to build a shed in the back yard roughly 14x16 with a garage door and one mad door. After pricing everything out at Home Depot I am looking roughly 4k. Before I go drop the coin at the HD is there a better place to source the supplies needed for a better price?

shortstraw8

Depending on some supply houses they may charge some "no acct" type fee, but if you use one like burton lumber if you get everything from them studs, trusses, sheeting, etc... they used to give like a 5% off whole order. Not sure on any of this anymore as it has been 10+ years since I have done any large orders and with no good large source other than HD or lowes in utah county I tend to just go there.

RockChucker

That’s pretty close to what I was looking at for building a 10x20 shed similar in size to yours 3 or 4 years ago. I ended up buying a lifetime shed that was about the same size because I found one for about $1000. 10/10 would not recommend a lifetime shed. At least if you get lots of wind like I do.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That’s pretty close to what I was looking at for building a 10x20 shed similar in size to yours 3 or 4 years ago. I ended up buying a lifetime shed that was about the same size because I found one for about $1000. 10/10 would not recommend a lifetime shed. At least if you get lots of wind like I do.
I really love my Lifetime shed, but mine is something like 6x8....much more reasonable size for plastic IMO.

When I built my last shed I went to Lowes… they had a ‘quote’ program thing at the pro counter, didn’t have to be a pro… just need a list of all the things you need, as long as it’s over $2500 and you pre-quote then buy all at once they give contractor price… saved around 15%.
This was in 2017 at the Riverton Lowes, not sure if things have changed or not

Pike2350

Not much help. When I built my 7x12 shed about 4 years ago I bought through Home Depot and did the contractor pricing...had it delivered for about $1800. That was nost everything but I ended up arou d $2200 after a few changes. The little things add up. My outward swinging man door(not a shed door but real steel door) was one of the bigger expense items.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
If you want to do it right, buy from Home Depot. If you want to do it CHEAP, get your dimensional green lumber from Blazzard Lumber in Kamas. They are a mill where you can buy direct. I built a shed for nothing, but stuff warped like crazy. Maybe use it for treehouse material.