shock advice for tow rig?

Xploderkid97

Hey guys-we've got a 2002 super duty that we use as our tow rig/recovery rig and just want some advice or ideas for new shocks. its got a 6 inch lift and 37's. What is the best option out there these days?

tj1230

A dvd player. Haha sorry it's true, My tow rig needs one. How much wheelin do you do with your tow rig? Bilstein are great shocks! Fox are too!

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I am looking for the same thing as well.

On the cheap, I hear skycrapper hydros are the way to go. I've also heard good things about KYB monomax
http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/monomax.php

Upper end seems to belong to bilstiens, although OME now makes a shock for the SD that may be a little less $$

Last edited by a moderator:

camicaztoy

x4 on the bilstiens. They are the best thing on the market. They are a little more $ than some other shocks, but your tow rig hauling your family and towing your crawler is not really the place to skip on safty items, in my opinion.

Xploderkid97

i agree with you camicaztoy no need to be cheap on something that goes through that much use- it appears that bilstein is the way to go by vote- any body have experience with them on a superduty?

tj1230 we dont do a lot of crawling with it- but it does see a lot of snow and mud wheelin- we are building it as a recovery vehicle as it has already seen several recoveries. My wheelin buddies have all passed the sport up- mostly due to funds- so i we need something to get us out of a pickle when they happen.

goat- let me know what you go with and how you like it- i have been following the other thread on the super duties and would love to soften the ride- i just figured a full size on 37's didnt offer much of a ride quality.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
it appears that bilstein is the way to go by vote- any body have experience with them on a superduty?

I love the Bilsteins on my 4runner, and have been considering them for my Superduty--so if you do get them, let me know how they work out on a vehicle with no suspension. :)

JackKeslerCustoms

I love the Bilsteins on my 4runner, and have been considering them for my Superduty--so if you do get them, let me know how they work out on a vehicle with no suspension. :)

x2. I've been considering them for my superduty, I know they are awesome on coil sprung rigs, but how about with 4 leafs?

1993yj

I have heard from many people that Bilsteins give a much smoother ride, and that is my plan in the future. Currently I run the cheap ass Skyjacker 6000's on my Dodge and I would not recommend them to anyone in any application. It is an incredibly stiff ride. 35's on 20's dont help, but the shocks could be better. Provided its a truck and I can live with it being a stiff ride, but softer would be nice.

However, I dont think that safety is really a concern with the cheaper shocks. If that is the reasoning you have to give the wife to spend more $$ on shocks then I am all for it, but I dont buy the argument that the Bilsteins are any safer than the cheap ones.

Last edited:

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
Bilstein is a killer shock but sometimes you have to look at things from all angles. Such as one being the fact that the 5100 series only has a one year manu warranty and all warranties are handled in house so if you need one replaced you'll have to send them your shock and the warranty will be evaluated.. seems like a lot of work.. I've had alot of good feedback on the Pro Comp MX6 snd the Rancho 9000xl both are adjustable to help fine tune your ride?? And any warranty can be handled by your dealer. Just my two cents.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Sway A Way 2.25" Smooth bodies. Adjustable via shims, rebuildable, bling.
You didnt mention if there was a budget.:greg:

Bilsteins if you want a quality shock at a reasonable price. I run some Rancho 9000s on my solid axle tahoe on the softest setting and I still think it could ride better. Im not really a fan of the ranchos but they are leaps and bounds above the Superlift cheapo shocks.

Too Far

parts is parts
You did ask for the BEST option.

Go with a Fox 2.5" tripple bypass on each corner.

they will give you position and speed sensitivity.

Fox's are easy to rebuild, and talor to suit your needs.

You get what you pay for, and yes you pay a lot!

Xploderkid97

Well i talked to a guy down at 4 wheel parts and he gave the same opinion as you poorboyzdreamz. I was sold due to the amount of worthless warranty people i have had to work with and warranty that is replaced no questions asked or easy to work with sounds much better to me. I think right now im leaning towards the mx6 with a dual set up in the front.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I've also heard good things about KYB monomax
http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/monomax.php

*update*

I ended up buying a set of the monomax from my local Carquest for under 70.00 each and installed them last night. They definitely made a big improvement on reducing the overall harshness of the ride. It still rides fairly stiff (F550 springs) but is light years ahead of the monroes. These would probably be perfect o a stock SD. Would buy again.