shop compressor ?

camicaztoy

I'm in need of some help. I have and older Campbell huasfeld belt drive 2 stage shop compressor. When it runs it gets extremely hot, the pump itself not the electric motor. So hot that the tank feed tube will burn your hand. I figured that it could be the gearbox oil, since it hasn't been changed in the 10 years I've owned it, but unfortunately that didn't help. Any ideas?

Jesser04

I'm pretty sure that's normal. I have a 15 hp ingersoll and rand that operates my store. It gets way hot especially on the high pressure head. There isn't much to them depending on the type of valves they have. If parts are available you should be able to rebuild both heads in a couple hours.

Last edited:

camicaztoy

I expect it to run warm, but lately it's been getting extremely hot, so much you can smell it. If that makes sense. It's just recently started doing it, that's why I questioned what's potentially going on.

SWALLDOG

Is it running more frequently? My buddie had a compressor that the water drain valve got plugged. He thought it just wasn't getting much water build up inside. Pretty soon half the tank was full of water and the compressor was running twice as much.