Shop to remove coil over top cap?

Team1k

A while ago i bought some coil tender/helper springs to put on my rear 2 King coilovers. Went to do the install and realized the dual rate collars would stop the slider from going up from the bottom to where it needs to be. Looks like the only way to do it is remove the top cap on the coilover, slide the slider and spring in through the top, then reinstall the top cap. This isnt something i want to try myself so im wondering if there are any shops that could handle this job and what i would be looking at price wise.

For those that went to MMP on sunday you probably heard my springs unseating and reseating themselves :'(
MMP.jpg

Thanks!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have never seen a coilovers that the top cap has to come off to install a triple rate. The dual rate stop should unscrew all the way off the shock and you can install the triple rate setup from the bottom of the coilovers.

Team1k

If only my life were that easy. The shock body of these king coilovers has the thread cut flush into the body so unscrewing the dual rate is not an option. I thought maybe i just had some older style of kings but my friend who just bought brand new fox coilovers had the same issue.

STAG

On my grind
What I saw on pirate once, take a super thin blade (band saw or the like) and make a thin vertical cut along the height of the dual rate slider. This will allow you to stick a flat blade screwdriver in the cut and pry open the slider just enough to enlarge the diameter enough to slide over the collar. Then reassemble as normal, the coil spring keeps the cut from ever opening.

Team1k

What I saw on pirate once, take a super thin blade (band saw or the like) and make a thin vertical cut along the height of the dual rate slider. This will allow you to stick a flat blade screwdriver in the cut and pry open the slider just enough to enlarge the diameter enough to slide over the collar. Then reassemble as normal, the coil spring keeps the cut from ever opening.

I did think of this as well and may end up having to do it. Thanks for the reminder though! I was hoping this was a fairly simple job for a shop though :(

STAG

On my grind
I found the pirate pics, even though you got it.

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

Team1k

I may take you up on that. Im going to check my parents first. They have a band saw but it may only have a wood blade in it.

Team1k

Just had another thought. After i cut it and get it installed i wonder if heat gunning it would be beneficial. Im thinking it would somewhat fuse it back together. Possibly not worth the hassle though.

Team1k

Gave Mitch a call. Definitely knowledgeable and i think im going to go the route of replacing the springs with the correct rate instead of having the top cap removed and such. May still try running the tender using the bandsaw method, since i have it anyway, while i wait for a paycheck or two.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Why not just do it right and take off the remote res? Billavistas write up on pirate walks you through the whole process. It takes some time but you'll end up more knowledgeable about your c/o's

Team1k

mainly because i will be replacing them in a few months anyways. Plus then id have to worry about bleeding air out, getting the dang thing off and back on, then recharging it with nitrogen. Overall this will be the quick easy way to keep the coils in place til the more permanent solution can be done.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Why not just do it right and take off the remote res? Billavistas write up on pirate walks you through the whole process. It takes some time but you'll end up more knowledgeable about your c/o's

im with ben ,id still do it properly suspension is not a area to cut corners

Team1k

Guess i dont understand what you mean. If i cut the slider and put it in vs me taking the top cap off and putting it on the results are the same.

cjncustoms

im with ben ,id still do it properly suspension is not a area to cut corners

He's not cutting corners doing it this way. This is an easier quicker solution that will work guaranteed with no problem. With a coil around the slider it can't possibly go anywhere! Taking apart coilovers is a pain in the ass. He'd end up losing all his oil then he would have to start from square one with oil levels bleeding and nitrogen pressure. If any of that gets messed up he is fa worse off than just cutting the slider.:rolleyes: