Shotguns; Mossberg 500

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I had the ATI heatshield with ghost ring sights on my last 870, and it had some movement up until I mounted my light. The light mounted on the ext tube and I made sure to mount it tight against the heat shield to prevent it from shifting. It helped some, but didn't fix it 100%. I agree that ATI is just super cheap crap.

My previous 870
d59df461.jpg

2b8fe00e.jpg

Retired SLPD 12ga Remington 870 Magnum - $250. Lumaforce light - $55, 6rnd side saddle - $28, Limbsaver recoil pad - $29. ATI heatshield w/ ghost rings - $35.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
One at a time Jason! An AR has been on my list for some time, not that I have the 12 gauge out of the way, I might start looking into AR parts.

I would but, I really feel the need to replace the scatter gun, and I have little desire to tacticool it this time.. A light, which I have and that's it. No need for all the other stuff. KISS..

That way I have some wiggle room to collect AR parts and still play with the shotty when out in the desert and durning night patrols around my grounds. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just a couple more changes worth mentioning and I think the dual purpose Maverick 88 'Home Defense & Field Use' 12 gauge build is pretty much done.

I pulled off the ATI heat shield and it will be returned.

I added a Pachmayr slip-on recoil pad, since the plastic ATI stock and pad weren't much more than hard plastic. That cost $20 at Cabelas.

I also added a red clip-on Truglo site, to replace the bead that was broken off by the ATI heat shield. Cost $15 at Cabelas.

Last thing was a simple LED flash light, clamped onto the lower tube with an ATI clamp. The light was free from work and has a push-button rear on/off switch. The tube clap was $8 online. Time will tell if the cheap light will work out, but honestly all I need the light to do is provide enough light to see around the house at night. So far, it seems to do the job

I edited the post with the build cost on the previous page, so it's accurate at this point. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out and the final price for having a multi-use 12 gauge. Here's how it looks now, I don't think I'll add anything else to it.

1152930025_VqHoe-M.jpg

1152929936_XL293-M.jpg

1152929991_kKdUM-M.jpg

1152930026_dieKn-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
Nice setup. :greg:

Thank you kindly Mike!

What is the purpose of the heatshield on the barrel?

After repeated firing, the barrel will get quite hot to the point that one could be burned if flesh touched the barrel. I don't think the heat shield is needed for a home defense gun, as I don't think I'll be emptying the shotgun and reloading it back to back and getting the barrel that hot.

After repeated firing, the barrel will get quite hot to the point that one could be burned if flesh touched the barrel. I don't think the heat shield is needed for a home defense gun, as I don't think I'll be emptying the shotgun and reloading it back to back and getting the barrel that hot.

Depending on the ammunition, you would have to run 50+ rounds before you approach the burned flesh temperatures.

Greg

Admin
Depending on the ammunition, you would have to run 50+ rounds before you approach the burned flesh temperatures.

I could see reaching those temps while shooting skeet, but not while using the short barrel, inside the home. :eek:

On the long barrel while shooting skeet, I think the heat shield would be a good idea. But after 50+ rounds, I'd imagine someones shoulder will be quite tender. :rofl:

I suggest that when get our trip planned to St George we take an afternoon and hit Mesquite for some Sporting Clays.

Sounds great, but I think I'm out for any Winter riding. :( I screwed up my wrist (again) last month while riding and I'm going to try take the Winter off and let it heal.

Greg that's awesome. I bought home a fairly reasonable semi-auto duck hunting gun (Beretta 301 Model A) from the gun show this weekend. Work of art. Totally unpractical for home defense or at least I'd spend a fortune with a second barrel etc. So this might be the ticket. Though Carrie is scared to death of guns in the house...

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've also got the Maverick 88. I've had it for 14 years now and I've never had an issue with it. I would prefer the Mossberg for the better quality parts but the gun has never let me down.

Greg

Admin
Greg that's awesome. I bought home a fairly reasonable semi-auto duck hunting gun (Beretta 301 Model A) from the gun show this weekend. Work of art. Totally unpractical for home defense or at least I'd spend a fortune with a second barrel etc. So this might be the ticket. Though Carrie is scared to death of guns in the house...

It's a fun, inexpensive option at the least. I'm pleased with it, will be fun to really get out and use it now!

I've also got the Maverick 88. I've had it for 14 years now and I've never had an issue with it. I would prefer the Mossberg for the better quality parts but the gun has never let me down.

Awesome, that's what I want to hear! Thanks for speaking up. :D