Shovel mount on Roof Rack

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Hey everyone, just curious as to who has a roof rack with a shovel mounted to it. I've had the shovel for a while and just havent really seen how anyone has theres mounted. I have the thule play penn rack. If anyone has any ideas that might help, let me know. Pictures also please. Thanks in advance

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I have one attached to my Hi-Lift Jack with bungee cords. Works ok but I have not even used the shovel once.

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
they are nice if you have a camp fire and need to put it out but other than that i have never used with my jeep. I did have an old ford F100 when i was a kid that had a full load of wood. we had a spare but no jack so we places a chunk of wood under the axle and dug under the tire so we could change it

Chevycrew

They sell shovel and axe mounts.

Edit: I just looked up your rack, it looks like with that design its bungee cords or use the other brand shovel mounts for ideas to build your own.

search for roof rack shovel mount on google and you will get a bunch

Last edited:

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
if you are going to be digging poop hole just get an E-Tool from an army/Navy store and toss it under the seat

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
well, i did look up some on google and ive seen some of the designs, just not sure how i would make them because they are all horrible pictures. Lets see.... the last time i needed a shovel but didnt have one was at 5 mile pass. There is this little V in between two sand hills that we went up and some guy in an old bronco got stuck. We tried to winch him out but he was burried. So it came down to digging with our hands and a high lift jack handle for the hard stuff. took close to an hour. But i do have one of those little army shovels that helped a bit, but a fullsize one would be much better.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Yeah, we have rocks here;) I have never seen anyone use a shovel on the trail.

I can honestly say i have never come around the corner, and seen someone digging. Unless you're out in the salt flats/muddy type stuff, or sand dunes, i really don't see a need for a shovel.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
As with all things 4x4, it depends on your particular rig and what you intend to do with it. If you want a shovel, take one with you. I would much rather go on a trail with those that are over-packed and prepared then those that "didn't think I would need it". I used my shovel a handful of times this past weekend in the Swell, in fact Meat used it even more :D We (well Meat) dug out the firepit, I dug a poop hole and buried some with it too. Beat using my hands ;) I can think of alot of spares/tools I bring that I've never needed but won't leave behind :D

Meat_

Banned
Yup it all depends on the trail, if you are on a hard core trail just up the road from your tow rig then you don't need one, if you are on an expedition style trail you should never be without one. (and your tow rig should have one in it when you are on the hard core trail)

Another thing you should carry on an expedition trail is an ax that is sharp enough to be able to distinguish the business end from the handle. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Another thing you should carry on an expedition trail is an ax that is sharp enough to be able to distinguish the business end from the handle. ;)

I'll take that as a personal hint... I'm guessing I last used the axe as a shovel :D Its on my "to-do" list :greg:

OREGON85

from OREGON
Yeah, we have rocks here;) I have never seen anyone use a shovel on the trail.

I've used it since moving to Utah in the snow. Wheeling in Oregon in the winter an axe is better than nothing but if you don't have a chain saw you could end up spending the whole night cutting out wind fall to get out a trail that's too wet and slipery to back up.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'll take that as a personal hint... I'm guessing I last used the axe as a shovel :D Its on my "to-do" list :greg:

:D Well I last used it as a wood hammer. :busted:

Sounds like a sweet multi tool, what does this revolutionary item cost?

I've used it since moving to Utah in the snow. Wheeling in Oregon in the winter an axe is better than nothing but if you don't have a chain saw you could end up spending the whole night cutting out wind fall to get out a trail that's too wet and slipery to back up.

I used to live in washington and we always used to carry a chain saw for that reason

frenchiexj

Frenchie
I have a car tent so i eigher dig a hole to get the Jeep level or stack rocks to level it up. The shovel is used when we camp out and have a fire. I use it to put coals under our chairs to keep warm. We just did this last weel in copper canyon, Mexico and on both of my EJS "Hole in the Rock" trails. They are a must when in the sand, mud and deep snow.