Sidekick

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
I'm supose to get a sidekick this weekend. It's got a bad engine, 1.6, so I need a new engine or put something in. Is there a diesel engine that can be dropped in or a small v6 that will just drop in? Conversion kits? Jim?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
What the he11, no Cummins?? Traitor! :D

I'm supose to get a sidekick this weekend. It's got a bad engine, 1.6, so I need a new engine or put something in. Is there a diesel engine that can be dropped in or a small v6 that will just drop in? Conversion kits? Jim?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You could... :greg: ...bolt a VW diesel engine to a Toyota 5 speed transmission & T-Case. There's a couple of companys that build the adapter. Let me know if you need a link.

If you could make it work with a TDI you'd have tons of power. They have elec. controlled injection pumps & are a nightmare to swap. The best option would be to use a mech. injection pump on a TDI engine. Run a set of Toyota axles under the Sidekick & you'd have a well-balanced drivetrain. ;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I don't believe that anybody specific makes a kit for the sidekick, they make them for the samurai, just not the kick. But the probably only difference would be the motor mounts. They also make an adapter to bolt a toyota trans to the 1.6. The most common v6 swap would be the 4.3 chev, lotsa of options there, you can holer at dixon, he's got one in his samurai.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
There are advantages to ditching the entire drivetrain because the trans/t-case are geared rather high necessitating really low axle ratios to compensate. They have dual t-cases and t-case gears availible for the kick drivetrain also.

If you are getting the 16valve then you might just want to get another one and plop it in there...if you are getting the 8v then dump it for something a little peppier.

I have thought a jeep 4cyl drivetrain would be interesting to swap in there due to the aftermarket support. You could probably scavenge up a full setup from someone swapping in a SBC for their jeep project. I was also wondering if a subaru motor would fit between the frame rails.... ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'd just get a new stock engine if it's the 16V 1.6FI. They get killer milage, and have decend power for a SideKick. For the cost of a diesel swap, and the headaches involved with adapting it you could do a LOT of other things to your rig.....Just an Idea ;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If I go used I would like to go local if possible! I heard there may be ine sittin in a garage in Delta.

I got a core motor from Keith Shurtz out of delta from his tracker project, but it had a rod through the side, I hope thats not the same one your hoping for.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yeah it was thrashed inside, I completley disassembled it and am using the good accessory parts in my 1.6 8 valve swap for my sami.