Siezed 2.5l motor

OB1

Recieved a text from my son earlier in the week. He's 98 TJ just died on him. He had it towed to Burt Brothers in Bountiful and a guy there said the motor was siezed up. So I went and got it wednesday and tomorrow I plan on getting it in the garage and start tearing it apart to see whats up. The question is, do I rebuild the 2.5l or is it time for a swap and if so what do I swap in? I've read some of the post on here of some of you swapping in a 5.3 from a Durango. I geuss it's up to my son as he has limited funds. I'll try and help him if I can but any sudjestions are very much welcome.

Thanks John

OB1

Well it looks like a blown head gasket. Coolant in the oil, bent push rod on number 4 cylinder intake valve. I saw the 2 motors on KSL in Colorado maybe a possibility. they're older motors though. Someone was selling a motor and transfercase for 600 on there also. I'll know more after I take the head off. I need to run and get me a 1/2" drive 1/2"deep 12 point socket. I hate it when I have to buy more tools.:rofl:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If you're just going to put the same motor back in, why not just put in a pushrod and put it back together?

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
In my opinion the key to doing the cheapest 5.2L swap is to find a Durango that has a salvaged title but still has a good drivetrain. Take what you need ans part out the rest. be prepared when you start parting out that Durango because your phone will ring off the hook. I cost me quit a bit up front to do this swap, I paid $1500 cash for my Durango and all the necessary parts to do the swap and I was into it well over $2,000. I sold my old 2.5l and tranny for $600 so that was a decent amount back in my pocket, but after all the parting out of the Durango and after I scrapped the frame and body I was in the positive column roughly $300. Not bad but it was a PITA dealing with all the crazies off ksl.
Good Luck

OB1

The son is limited on funds so I'm going to pull the head and have it checked, make sure the block and pistons are ok, get a couple push rods and gasket set and put it back together. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a Durango for when it does finally go on him and I can talk him into selling to me. :D Anyone know of a good machine shop around Clearfield?

OB1

Got home today and took the head off to see if there was any other damage. what I found was the #4 piston had exploded into pieces. I may be looking for a motor.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Got home today and took the head off to see if there was any other damage. what I found was the #4 piston had exploded into pieces. I may be looking for a motor.

That's a bummer, well I think that if he is short on cash the best practical decision would be to look for an identical 4 cylinder like the one that bit the dust. You can usually snag them for a few hundred dollars. Also you don't have to worry about new motor mounts, headers, wiring etc. All that stuff can add up real quick and will eat through cash in a quick hurry.
Good Luck, but when the time does come and he has some more cash, the 5.2L swap is well worth it.

OutlawTJ

I myself like the 2.5l. It runs up well and will handle low rpm's very well. Is his automatic or standard? Was the shop that told him it was frozen able to say why? Over rev? And the 2.5 is a cheap motor from most anywhere.

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
I would suggest if you're thinking of a swap, the 4.0 AX15 swap is much much easier and cheaper, and since 4 cyl TJ's come with either 3.73's or 4.10's most of the time. Swap in the 6 cyl and you're set to match a lift an tires. It is pretty easy swap, just find a wrecked cherokee and buy the whole thing, pick up a new set of motor mounts to weld on and the rest is almost bolt in.

Plus since the 4.0 came factory in that vehicle it is legal to get done without paying off the smog guy.

That being said 2.5's are very cheap to find used. I picked one up for my TH for $250 with only 77K miles on it.

RockChucker

I would suggest if you're thinking of a swap, the 4.0 AX15 swap is much much easier and cheaper, and since 4 cyl TJ's come with either 3.73's or 4.10's most of the time. Swap in the 6 cyl and you're set to match a lift an tires. It is pretty easy swap, just find a wrecked cherokee and buy the whole thing, pick up a new set of motor mounts to weld on and the rest is almost bolt in.

Plus since the 4.0 came factory in that vehicle it is legal to get done without paying off the smog guy.

That being said 2.5's are very cheap to find used. I picked one up for my TH for $250 with only 77K miles on it.

I would argue that a 4.0 swap will cost as much as most V8 swaps. You cannot just get a 4.0 and drop it in. You still have to worry about wiring, new motor mounts, exhaust, possibly a radiator and definitely hoses, different trans and now a different tcase as well. And your drivelines will definitely change length. 4.0's are a great motor, but not great enough to drop some serious coin on them to swap it in for a 4 cylinder.

gertsch

In Davis and weber counties the engine had to be offered in that vehicle to be a legal swap. I'm pretty sure no v8 was offered in tj's.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
In Davis and weber counties the engine had to be offered in that vehicle to be a legal swap. I'm pretty sure no v8 was offered in tj's.

It only has to be offered in the same class of vehicle. The TJ is an SUV and so is a Grand Cherokee. There are plenty of TJ's and YJ's running around with V8 swaps in Davis and Weber counties that are legal, YJ's never came with a V8 either. Also JK's getting hemi swaps is the same deal.

OB1

You guys have been a great help with your sudjestions. I do like the 2.5L but I'm having a hard time finding one locally. I may just go ahead an get a new rebuilt but I'll have to loan my son the cash. It's alittle more than he can afford at the moment.

gertsch

It only has to be offered in the same class of vehicle. The TJ is an SUV and so is a Grand Cherokee. There are plenty of TJ's and YJ's running around with V8 swaps in Davis and Weber counties that are legal, YJ's never came with a V8 either. Also JK's getting hemi swaps is the same deal.
Not according to the Davis and weber county I/m officials. Plus I worked for Davis county for 8 years and we pissed off alot of people want to do v8 swaps.